Chinese-Forums

Chinese Chop (Seal) making tools

Shelley

As part of my helping my late friends wife clear his vast collection of books,(http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/46591-chinese-books-for-sale/ ) we have come across some Chop (seal) making tools.

Not sure of the value of this sort of thing, but if any one is interested, let me know and I will post some pictures.

There are also a few blank chops and a couple already done, but I guess you could remove what is there and start again.

Yes, I will sort out some pictures asap but it probably won't be till next week. I will have to go and see my friend and take some photos. I wasn't going to do it unless someone was interested.

I can tell you there are tools, like small chisels and knives all in a lovely wooden box and other tools I don't know what they are called, so photos soon.

I had some made for me and used them just for that but it didn't last long and only a few books got done. Might just start again , but its not like I have any reason to, i don't take them anywhere or lend them to anyone, but it might be fun :)

• 4 weeks later...

I have finally found time to get some photos of the chop making tools. If any one is interested, they are for sale. Just PM me to discuss it.

All the chops are blank, I was mistaken that two were carved its just the top that has been carved.

post-31145-0-03650000-1478819712_thumb.jpg

post-31145-0-06590000-1478819738_thumb.jpg

post-31145-0-19341700-1478819771_thumb.jpg

post-31145-0-31750700-1478819805_thumb.jpg

post-31145-0-28761600-1478819928_thumb.jpg

Yes, that is the red ink.

The first picture is wooden vice, and then there are the tools and in the last picture is everything including the little box the tools come in. The box is not wooden I mistook the vice for the tool box, I had only seen them very briefly before.

The old ink is collectible. Unrusted and unopened: good. (The ink supposedly gets better over time. Plus manufacturing standards are believed to have gone down over the years.)

The tools are still easily and cheaply bought.

The carved seals don't look like much. Hard to tell about the other seals from the pictures, but cracks are really bad news.