Chinese-Forums

Legal part-time work (ESL, chiefly) on CSC/Confucius Institute scholarhsips (X1/X2 visa holders)

JinJin4

You can check the link above about models in the US. Wherever there are workers who don't need, or don't know they are entitled to, legal protection, you get undocumented work and who knows what kind of risks involved.

• Like 1

Friend finally confirmed his experience with the CSC scholarship, he got a bilateral programmer one back in 2014 for language learning, no paid work was allowed, the agreement is included in the contract signed during application verification
(it seems he didn't see the msgs on WeChat, finally found him on FB and got a reply, I was too busy and lazy to write a post... :P  :lol:  :-?  :shock: 

Knew lots of people on CSC/Confucius Scholarships that were working regularly as English teachers (or models) the entire year. Legal, no. The university office was aware of this, and put out a notice once or twice during the year that working as a scholarship holder is not allowed (and I think with a X1/2 in general?), and that several foreign students supposedly had been recently fined by police for being caught doing so (never heard of the people I know, or anyone they know, being caught however). At the same time, the exact same office put out notices themselves a few times during the year offering some paid opportunities to teach or tutor English.... Again, this is not at all legal, but it seems like people usually get away with it. Even those who did supposedly got caught only received a fine (not a small fine.... I think it was at least 10,000 kuai?), didn't get their visas automatically taken away or anything. This was 2014-2015 in Xiamen, may be different nowadays of course, or in other cities.

• 2 weeks later...