Chinese-Forums

Xiaomi Shop in Guangzhou

JonasB..

• New Members

Hey,

thanks for the opportunity to ask here for it! I hope someone can help me here, I wasn´t able to get any informations so far...

I will arrive Guangzhou next week to start my holidays in Asia. It was a spontaneous decision and I would love to have a Xiaomi Yi 2 actioncam for my travel.

It´s not possible to get it in Germany in this short time, so my question:

Are Xaomi things like this available in normal shops in Guangzhou?

Would be great to get some help here!

Thanks a lot,

Jonas

I can ask some of my friends about this, but I'd say your best bet is to go to an electronics market like the one at Gangding Subway station. One of the exits go right into a electronics market. Every level has different stalls and some levels tend to special in different type things. Be ready to bargain.

Eion

• Like 1

There are dozens of Xiaomi stores in every medium-sized city in China. In larger cities, there are hundreds.

I bought a Xiaomi phone in Kunming earlier this year. Two unrelated, competing Xiaomi stores were available within a five or ten minute walk of my home, in different directions. My point is, you will have no trouble finding a Xiaomi phone in Guangzhou.

Are Xaomi things like this available in normal shops in Guangzhou?

As far as tablets, TV's, fitness watches, and other peripherals, such as the "action-cam" you seek, their stocking is spotty and won't be sold by every outlet. You may have to visit one and ask them to call around to their sister shops nearby in case they don't have it right there. Bigger stores typically have more of these "extras."

Or visit an electronics center, such as Eion recommended above. You may also need some help setting up the device and getting it to work properly with your other electronics. At a Xiaomi store, they will help you free of charge if you have purchased from them.

@abcedfg

Noooo, I just bought a XiaoMi Max in HK. Unfortunately, I bought a 32GB because I thought that was the only version available for retail from a reputable dealer. After your post, I found a XiaoMi store in HK which I had completely no idea about. I actually wanted a 64GB or 128GB version of the phone for storing Anki decks and book reading. BTW, the phone works really, really well for me (no gaming, moderate video watching, use proper cameras for photos)

Hello, Flickserve. Mine is a Xiaomi 5 with 64 MB of storage. Inexpensive; just a bit over RMB 2,000 as I recall. (Maybe 2,300 or so at most; I don't have access to the receipt just now.)

Three years ago I don't think there were any Xiaomi stores in Kunming (But I cannot swear to it, since I don't follow phone things too closely.)

Two years ago there were a few. Remember noticing them. Wonder if they were still mainly selling by mail order then. Last year and this year there seem to be a whole lot of Xiaomi stores 专店 (stores selling only that brand.)

Glad your phone works well. Mine does too with one irritating exception. It erases my Pleco installation every night. Must be part of some cleanup protocol that I haven't been able to kill despite lots of trying. This means every night before bed I must back up my Pleco flashcards. Every morning, after re-installing Pleco from scratch, I reload my flashcards so that I can review and add to them.

As you get familiar with your phone, if you find anything that might be the culprit for this, please let me know. Would love to be able fix it. I wrote to Mike Love about it and it isn't Pleco's fault. It's something the Xiaomi is doing. Minor in the overall scheme of things, but still a pain in the rear.

So far I have had no problems with Pleco on the Xiaomi. My phone was HKD1600. The difference in price compared to the all singing and dancing smartphones is huge. Probably a large part is due to the operating system. My previous phone was a Samsung Note 3 and whilst functional, it just wasn't easy to use. I was a bit nervous with the OS (Android 6.0) being in English and perhaps some incompatibility issues. Probably unfounded but I get my fair share of bugs when using computer software. So far, it's been excellent and I have been very selective about what apps to install.