Chinese-Forums

Help with learning Chinese Mastering chinese characters - Anki

ChineseLearn22

Hi,

Im new at this forum , for a while I want to study roughly the Chinese language.

I would really like your suggestions …

Already learned pinyin , and the basics.

*I already started learning with Anki with the decks "Mastering Chinese characters 1-10.
I have a lot of time to invest everyday learning Chinese, I started with 30 new words every time and keep reviewing it..

1. Can some one tell me if that deck is really recommended.?

2. I read here at this forum also thought about using :

The Chairman's Bao
Chinese Pod

3.Buying books that teaches Chinese also an option I can use if anyone can recommend a good book

Of course in the future I will start watching movies, listen to chinese music also.

I need to fly to china in 1 year for quite time, And I want until then to maximize at the best.

Would appreciate experienced advice from you guys thanks: ).

I tried learning from the Anki decks like you are doing. It didn't work for me and I dropped it for a long time.

Looking back, what I think I could or should have done differently is focus more on listening skills and learn relevant vocabulary from speech patterns.

However, everybody has their own thoughts and preferences based on individual experiences.

I have a book called New Chinese Practical Reader. What I like to use it for is for the grammar patterns. I haven't picked it up for a while because of focusing on listening more.

*Edit - I thought I should be more specific. Whilst watching TV shows/movies is quite useful, it is quite difficult to pick things up at the beginning. What is useful, though not very interesting is to find dialogue is very simple sentences where the content is repeated and repeated until you find you can understand most of it. Then have somebody talk to you in Chinese and see if you can follow. Recording conversations and reviewing again helps a lot - something I should have done much earlier.

• Like 2

i also used and recommend the NCPR book.

but chinese is hard, so it helps to break things down and study them systematically.

i think one needs a dedicated method just for characters.

I recommend using James Heisig's book "Remembering the Hanzi" along with an anki deck for the book, to get over the hanzi wall.

you only study hanzi characters and their meanings...not pronounciation.

it's pretty easy.

some people don't like this book but it worked really well for me.

I learned 2,000 hanzi in 3 months, studied grammar for a year and went back to do the last 1,000 hanzi.

after 1.5 years that gave me the ability to read most things.

*my two mao

• Like 1

Thanks you both helped me alot Im now purchasing the books of : New Chinese Practical Reader , I saw theres 4 books of text.

also will buy :Remembering Simplified Hanzi 1

when I learn in anki theres also pronounciation audio to play for each word ..

any more suggestions I will really appreciate?