Chinese-Forums

談談”普通話”助

流

Please excuse my ignorance.

Nihao. 我欲会普通話。Wo shun hui putonghua. As you can probably tell by the title (and my attempt to pinyin that sentance), I cannot speak Chinese (well... I tiny bit). I do know Japanese (so I know 漢字), and am very interested in learning Chinese, and will put forth the effort. I just need a good site to get started. Where I can learn pin yin, tones, and some basic vocabulary. 謝謝 if you can help me!

a good effort that was...

That's perfectly good English where I come from, why would Yoda say that :tong

Check out Chinese Outpost under the Partners link in the header - they have a decent beginners introduction.

Roddy

各位、謝謝!

roddy-I looked at the Chinese Outpost, it seems good!

Well, study time. 8) I better get to work...

I have a question about 漢字, should I learn 繁體字, or 正体字? It seems form the pictures from signese.com (with I thoroughly enjoyed 8) ), that zhengtizi is the most common... But I like fantizi! Any advice?

Also, unlike Japanese (or at least where I live), one could actually find people to speak Chinese with here in the US. However, it seems that the majority of Chinese speakers speak Cantonese, not Mandarin. But I figure there is probably more on-line Mandarin sites than Cantonese, and it is the official language... Which should I learn? (Also, if I one when to 香港 only knowing 普通話, could they get around? Not just Hong Kong, but China in general? :conf )

Well, that about wraps up all I have to say for now, see you all later.

The 'should I study Simplified or Traditional' question has been asked before, do a search and you should find it. Likewise Cantonese or Mandarin.

The pictures on Signese.com are mostly taken by myself in Beijing, hence the predominance of simplified characters.

Roddy

jumping into character immediately may be unwise. learn some pinyin, the tones, and the grammar. then after you cross that bridge, cross the next one...

i have drills for you that i can post if you want.

knowing characters is nice if you plan to only chat to people online. however, if you want to actually learn about chinese language and culture, spend time getting familiar with grammar structures. this may be good advice. i don't know.

Well, I alread know Japanese kanji, so I guess I thought I could...

All 1945, huh? that's great!-but you'll find out learning chinese hanzi is a little bit different from Japanese kanji. See my post on the subject here http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/56-what-is-your-chinese-name33

jumping into character immediately may be unwise. learn some pinyin, the tones, and the grammar. then after you cross that bridge, cross the next one...

good advice, since you need pinyin to learn hanzi! But definitely you want to work on pronunciation first, then a little grammar (just enough to get your feet wet) and then you want to jump into characters which, in chinese, will boost your vocabulary dramatically.

nipponman

繁體字(繁体字) traditional characters

正體字(正体字) traditional characters, this is used on Taiwan to signify "正 proper" rather than "繁 complicated"

简体字(简體字) simplified characters

If you've learnt Japanese kanji characters which are more similar to traditional Chinese characters, and you like the traditional characters, then just learn the traditional characters!

Good luck with your learning!

-Shìbó :mrgreen:

Skylee,谢谢.

Just to let everyone know, here is what I have decided to do...

I am learning thru ‘The Pimslur Method’ of pronunciation. I have a book about basic grammar (in pinyin), and a book called "Chinese at a Glance," which has hanzi.

再见! 再見!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I'm going to sign up for a class, the only real way to learn.我很喜欢中文!

More than one Chinese friend has suggested I just learn both simplified and traditional. Very similar, they say. Not similar enough, say I.

That might be alot of work, though. You may want to just choose one. I'm starting to see a rebirth of traditional characters on the web now.

nipponman

I just studied a bit, and have a fresh batch of questions:

Does (what I hear as) Nimbai, to understand = 理解?

Where = 在里 = zai nar?

What is the hanzi for 在drar?(=here?)

Know = what sounds like true懂, what is the hanzi for ture?

Does hue, to drink = 飲?

What is the pinyin for 欲?

LAST question for now...

:help

What is the hanzi for domshi? (shi as in suSHI) As in, 一点DomShi

Well, that is all for now.

~流

流:

What I think you hear as nimbai, is ming2 bai2 = 明白 = to understand.

理解 also means understand, but the pinyin is li3 jie3.

where = 在哪里 (在哪裡 in traditional characters)= zai4 na3 li or 在哪儿 (在哪兒 in traditional characters) = zai4 na3r

here = 在这儿 (在這兒 in traditional characters)= zai4 zhe4r

I think what you describe as sounding like "ture 懂" is 得懂 de dong3, as in 看得懂 or 听得懂。

to drink = 喝 = he1

飲 (饮 in simplified characters) also means to drink, but is pronounced yin3.

欲 = yu4 = to desire

I think the answer to your last question is 东西 = dong1 xi = thing.

Hope that helps :)