Chinese-Forums

Guidance required for Sun yat sen University - 1 Year Chinese language Certificate

Faiz

Hi All,

I am considering to take admission in feb semester for 1 year Chinese Language certificate from Sun Yat Sen University(SYSU). I have few questions:

1- Since I am at the beginners level, so where would I see myself after 1 year?

2- As a student, can I legally do part-time job ? without effecting my studies

3- I have come to know that University hostel is only for degree classes students? So what alternates are available near university with least possible rent?

4- Since I am Muslim, so the prayer facility "Masjid/Mosque" is available inside campus? And the Halaal food is easily available in/near university?

Would appreciate guidance.

1. 1 year of study assuming you study hard and do well with the exams you'll be at pre-intermediate level.  Might be able to put together very simple conversational sentences, understand pinyin (still making some mistakes), and able to understand the fundamental  strokes of Chinese writing.  Your vocabulary at this point will still be very small.

2. Legally, no.  You can do part time work at home, or private work on your own, but working in any business (teaching at a school, working in an office) is technically illegal.  The PSB can supposedly give you permission to work, but I don't know a single person who ever did that.  You'll probably have nothing to worry about as long as your part time job isn't in a school setting.

3. The university dorms are for all students, not just degree students.  However, you can rent with others outside the campus, if sharing a place you might be looking at anywhere from 1200-2000 rmb per person, a single person studio would run around 2500-3000.  Since you are Muslim, you'll find a lot of other like-minded students who would prefer to live with other Muslims since you share similar customs for prayer and food.

4. I don't believe the campus itself has a mosque, but I imagine they have a place they often go to pray.  There is a large number of Muslims on campus.  For food, I'm aware they often cook themselves, or travel together to different Halaal restaurants, I believe the campus only has 1 or 2 small shops to eat.

• Like 1

Throughout Guangzhou, including areas around Zhong Da, there are muslim noodle restaurants that are popular with all sorts of people.

Of course, eating la mian or lamb dumplings all the time will get old. There are higher end Turkish restaurants around that are also halaal, but those are more expensive. 

• Like 1

The PSB can supposedly give you permission to work, but I don't know a single person who ever did that.

I met someone who has done this at a WeChat group. His school is in Hangzhou, his company is in Shanghai though.

It is possible.

Thank you everyone. Great information.

BTW, I have already taken basic Chinese classes here in Pakistan. And planning to appear in HSK Level 1 exam next month. And I think, I can pass it with little efforts.

So, after knowing this fact, would you guys advise me to change my programme ? Rather, shall I consider degree programme? If yes, how better the degree programme will benefit me? suggestions required

You need to decide for yourself whether 3-4 years of studying Chinese is worth it to you, and there will be jobs in your home country that would benefit from your Chinese study.  Learning a language in a degree program nets you no other skill, so it can be challenging to make use of your 2nd language.  The degree options like Business Language or Teaching just give you more vocabulary to learn, they aren't going to make you a good businessman or give you a teaching license.  After graduating, you may be able to find work teaching, do trade business, or if you work long enough become good enough to do translating, but you'll have to work hard to find these type of jobs.  Nobody will be begging you to work for them.

The degree program moves at a faster pace than a non-degree program, so you must be prepared to study hard.  There is an expectation in the degree program that you have already taken beginner classes previously, so they will move much faster introducing new vocabulary and grammar, and teachers will rarely use English at all in the classroom to explain something.  Students take the degree program much more seriously, so it is a better environment for learning language.  But it will be the fastest way in 4 years to have the experience required to read, speak, and write in Chinese at a high level.

• Like 2