Chinese-Forums

Friendliest City?

XiaoXi

Wondering what your experience or what you've heard about the most friendly city in China? Or more generally South vs North if it's not possible to specify any cities. I know everywhere can have friendly people and unfriendly but you still get a trend for everything in every place.

I have lived long-term in Chengdu, Kunming, and a small town in Henan. I have also spent significant time in Harbin and Guangzhou.   Although I would say all those  towns were friendly, and China is just a friendly place in general, Chengdu was the friendliest of all (at least toward me as a foreigner)  I developed significant friendships with people I met on the street or just did business with.  I kept on making friends because anytime I was walking down the street people would walk up to me and ask if they could help me.  As an introvert I found their endless, warm hospitality almost exhausting at times.  :)

Basically I'd agree with No.2 that China is a friendly place, especially if you can make some efforts in the language.

And on the whole, smaller cities are more welcoming than larger ones. Myself, in terms of people I find Shanghai not all that pleasant, ditto Guangzhou.

Basically I'd agree with No.2 that China is a friendly place, especially if you can make some efforts in the language.

And on the whole, smaller cities are more welcoming than larger ones. Myself, in terms of people I find Shanghai not all that pleasant, ditto Guangzhou.

Ok thanks for your input too. Any examples of the smaller cities you mention? North/South? You mentioned two Southern cities you've lived in, have you lived in any Northern cities before and if so how did you find the people there?

I found it easier to strike up casual conversations in Harbin than I have in other cities, south or west, even with though I was there early on, when my Chinese was very limited. Have also lived in Zhuhai (south) and Kunming (southwest.)

In Kunming I've found people friendly and willing to help once I got to know them a bit; but they have not been as outgoing towards me as a stranger as the people I met in Harbin. Same in Zhuhai. I've never lived on the eastern seaboard.

Just one person's limited experience; far from a scientific sample. Not sure it means much.

Making generalizations of a whole city based on one person's (or even many people's) anecdote is meaningless. The scale of these Chinese cities is enormous. The culture on one side can be completely different from the culture on the other side of the city. 

What is the friendliest city? It's the one where you have made the most friends. This is entirely up to you. If you want a city to feel friendly then you need to go out, socialize with strangers, and meet people (perhaps through activities you enjoy rather than through wechat). 

Perhaps a more meaningful pursuit is to try and understand the cultural differences of the various Chinese regions. What ethnic groups dominate the area? What's the food like? What suits you best?

As an example, one city that comes to mind is Xiahe, in southwestern Gansu. It is where Lebrang monastery is. On one side of the monastery is a fully developed city with a Hui majority. On the other side of the monastery, less than 2 km away, is a crumbling village with a Tibetan majority. In the middle is a Monastery of 600? monks that is developing into a tourist site. This is a tiny town by Chinese standards. So then, what is the culture here? Is it Chinese? Tibetan? Muslim? Tourist village? Holy site?

To clarify my point, every city can be broken down like this with its various subcultures and with each culture will come rules of hospitality, which is what I think you are getting at when you ask about "friendliness." Perhaps, to you, you'd find their constant offering of help in Chengdu to be annoying as you are relentlessly singled out as a helpless foreign. Another might find that same experience to be a breath of fresh air.

In the city where I live, I feel the most welcomed when I'm not stared at and constantly paid attention to. When I visit Beijing and am finally just another person on the street, I find that to be a warm welcome. When I come back to my small city and continue teaching, the stares and the petty "helpful" tips do not feel friendly, but rather alienating.

• Like 4

Wondering what your experience or what you've heard about the most friendly city in China? Or more generally South vs North if it's not possible to specify any cities.

OP -- I originally assumed you were a foreigner who would soon be moving to China and was just wondering about selecting a congenial place to live. But maybe I'm wrong since other posts suggest you will soon be returning to the UK. Why are you asking? Is if for the sake of a blog post or some such?

"According to a recent informal poll, the friendliest city in China is Xyz."

I see by your avatar information that you currently live in Dongbei (黑龙江)。What have your own impressions been from living there?  Is 大庆 a small town?

#7 -- Such a list would be completely meaningless.

Not quite sure what #7 refers to but no it wouldn't be totally meaningless, it wouldn't be 100% accurate if that's what you mean but far from meaningless. This forum is full of threads about which town they should go to for whatever benefits it might or might not have, I suppose that is meaningless too? Or is it just because the 'friendliness' of a city could possibly offend? Friendliness is certainly open to interpretation but not necessarily subjective.

OP -- I originally assumed you were a foreigner who would soon be moving to China and was just wondering about selecting a congenial place to live. But maybe I'm wrong since other posts suggest you will soon be returning to the UK. Why are you asking? Is if for the sake of a blog post or some such?

No I'm not writing any article, its purely for my own information. Yes I was considering moving back to the UK but it seems they've gone mental and now only allow the rich to get visas. So perhaps in the meantime we will remain in China.

I see by your avatar information that you currently live in Dongbei (黑龙江)。What have your own impressions been from living there?  Is 大庆 a small town?

Well I guess its small by Chinese standards but still quite big as far as I'm concerned. My experience in Dongbei overall in 2 years has not been good. One positive is like 'Abcdefg' found, its easier to strike up conversations with Dongbei people and you seem to be able to go from stranger to friend very quickly....but with general people who don't come into the category 'friends and aquaintances' like bank managers, landlords, people in shops etc or anyone who is more of a professional relationship I've had awful experiences. Also beyond the friendliness of people I've hang out with I found they're extremely selfish by nature and it almost seems like they feel it would be weird if they weren't like that. They're not very reasonable and don't really seem to consider you to be another human being - especially the ones who have a professional relationship with you.

I found it nicer in Tianjin whereas Beijing had a lot of twats...especially Taxi drivers. Its almost like if they don't try to rip you off and take you all round the city they think they'll go to jail or something. Even if you speak fluent Chinese pretty much like a native (which I do) they still do it.

I know Chinese have a reputation generally for all this but there must be places that are better than others. Maybe my original post wasn't that clear just to say 'friendliest city'.

You could consider including Taiwanese cities on your list, and they'd be at the top if you ask me. I lived in Taipei for some years and have literally made friends at the bus stop, without even particularly trying.

• Like 2