Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China
  • Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
Fred0

看着都觉得好笑

Fred0    4
Fred0

A poem starts out like this:

我穿着一件破衣衫出门, 

这么丑,我看着都觉得好笑,

My translation is: I put on an old, worn out robe to go out/How disgusting,  I  feel entirely ridiculous.  

Can someone help me do better than this? Thank you.

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

WenLei-William    25
WenLei-William

Wearing a worn-out robe,

So ugly, so crude,

I step out the door,

Parting from my abode 

Oh, How ridiculous I feel!

I just rearranged some of the order of the original and tried to write it in a more poetic fashion (which I'm not good at). Your translation actually preserves the style of the original a lot better than mine. Poetic and literary translation has a lot more leeway than other forms of translation, but you did better than me to preserve the original style.

• Like 2

Fred0    4
Fred0

Thank you. What is 看着都 saying?  Is it like saying "seeing it all, I feel ridiculous?"

skylee    1,905
skylee

Take a look.

post-32-0-61359500-1483752643_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Wayen    1
Wayen

我看着 means "when I look at myself,"so you can translate it as :when I look at myself ,I feel entirely ridiculous"

• Like 1

mouse    128
mouse

Skylee has the right answer. There is an implied 連 before the 我. See here for more usage examples.

• Like 1

lips    214
lips

Kinda like, "it's ridiculous even from looking at it.."

One can say that “连” is implied, but not "连我“.

• Like 1

Fred0    4
Fred0

...so I would translate: 我穿着一件破衣衫出门, 

这么丑,我看着都觉得好笑,as

"I put on an old, worn out robe to go out/How disgusting!  Even I,  seeing myself, feel ridiculous. "

Any comments?   Thanks to all, especially Mouse, for your help.

skylee    1,905
skylee

I think 都 refers to the action 看着.

lips    214
lips

I think 都 refers to the action 看着. 

Agree.

Key word is 看,not 我。

Yongjiang    2
Yongjiang

Fred0, 你好,

“都(dou1)” 在这里,口语中,有“也”的意思。

这句话的潜在含义是:这么丑,(不光其他人/除了其他人觉得丑),(连)我都(/也)觉得好笑。

“都”在这里也表达了一种递进情感,可以理解为“甚至”,作强化语气。

我只是从一个普通中国人的感觉去解释的,并不一定专业哦。

Dear Fred0,

“都”here, in speaking, has a meaning of "and", "as well", "too".

So the potential meaning of this sentence is: so ugly, (beside others), I feel myself ridiculous too.

“都” delivers a stronger emotion, which you can view it as "even", to strengthen the tone.

However, I just try to explain it from an ordinary Chinese's sense, which maybe not professional and academic.

• Like 1

Fred0    4
Fred0

Yongjiang, 非常感谢你的缜密的解释,虽然你可能不是一个专业,你肯定是一个好教师。