Chinese-Forums

Resultantive Endings

nipponman

Hey, my question is, can any stative-verb be a resultantive ending? I ask this because of the expression 散碎. I don't know what this means and I think it is a verb plus a resultantive ending. 中文表示散碎或没有时, 写“零”字 "Chinese shows san4(3?) sui4 or a lack of time by writing ling2. Any thoughts on this? thanks in advance,

nipponman

I just try. :wink:

Well, I think 散碎 san3 sui4 (scrappy, fragmentary, odd) here is an adjective. 散:loose碎:broken 散碎 shares the same meaning with 零碎.

“时” here means “when”.

中文表示散碎或没有时, 写“零”字

In Chinese, when we express the meaning of “loose”, ”broken” or “zero, nought”, we use the character “零”.

零钱:loose change

零食:snack

(考试)零蛋:nought (in tests)

Usually, we use 零 to describe “zero” or “nought ” in financial field. For example, ¥10.00 yuan. We write in bank note (or some other formal notes) in this way: 拾元零角零分.

For more information, please check the links below:

http://cb.kingsoft.com/search?s=%E9%9B%B6〈=utf-8&t=word&location=4

http://cb.kingsoft.com/search?lang=utf-8&s=%E9%9B%B6&d=PWDCCAC

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Thanks everybody so far for the replies.

I got the quote from herehttp://www.pep.com.cn/200406/ca447261.htm

Originally posted by xiaocai:

And the sentence in Chinese can be write like this for less ambiguity:

中文表示"散碎"或者"没有", 可以用"零".

I can see why you'd put there, but why do you highlight ? The sentence already has one.:conf

I think a better example of the question I'm asking is 打破. Originally I thought that 打破 was just a regular two-syllable verb. But my eyes were opened by my book to the fact that, it is really the verb 打 plus the resultantive ending 破, meaning "to smash to the point of breaking." I also read that any verb that expresses a state can be used as a resultantive verb.

I understand verbs like 完 etc. But technically, couldn't I say, 打碎 and have the same meaning as 打破? Any help would be appreciated,

nipponman

I'm sorry that I didn't explain it. In this sentence, 在 and 时 are used together which literally means "at...time", and usually be translated as "when".

Yes, you're right. This tructure is called "动补短语"(verb-compliment phrase) in secondary school textbook. Both 打碎 and 打破 is very common word in Chinese; however, the use of these two is slightly different. I think "打破" can be translated to "break" while "打碎" has the meaning of "break into pieces"; so "打破纪录"(break the record) is a frequent word in Chinese but you can not say "打碎纪录".

Here are some more "动补短语":吃完, 做好, 洗干净, 看一下...

For the basic category of structure of phrase in Chinese, please see here:

click here