Chinese-Forums

Use of 且,以

nipponman

Another question. I have read 且 used in a way that doesn't indicate "moreover, also, etc" and my dictionary doesn't expound on this usage, it just gives this sentence: 且不說你﹐連他最好的朋友的話他都不聽。 I don' really know what it is doing in the sentence. Is this a common expression? if so is got any examples?

Also, does 以 have any monosyllabic functions (my dictionary is bad at showing monosyllabic functions)? I know of the 以後 etc. and I know that 以 can mean "to use" -or something like that- I see it used here in sentences all the time. Any help would be appreciated,

nipponman

Excessive Quoting Removed

The ABCD dictionary is great. 且 means "for the time being". 且不说 is a dictionary entry in itself meaning "leaving aside; not to mention". The sentence means "it's not just you; he doesn't even listen to his best friends". 以 can mean "in order to". I saw an example today: ,政府有必

要注意适当保护房地产的需求, 以维持内需. I suppose you know that 以 is often picked up by a 为 later in the sentence (with...as...) ? 以普通话为主 would mean "focusing on Mandarin", or literally "with Mandarin as the main thing".

且不說:let alone

且不說你﹐連他最好的朋友的話他都不聽。

He doesn’t listen to his best friend’s words, let alone yours.

For more on 且 please check the link:

http://cb.kingsoft.com/search?lang=utf-8&s=%E4%B8%94&d=PWDCCAC

Also, does 以 have any monosyllabic functions (my dictionary is bad at showing monosyllabic functions)?

For example: 以理服人 persuade through reasoning

For more on 以 please check the link:

http://cb.kingsoft.com/search?lang=utf-8&s=%E4%BB%A5&d=PWDCCAC

Thanks! 8)