Chinese-Forums

Attributed Quote on Non-Mobile Site

Apollys

Just now, realmayo said:

Seems to me you've got a choice between either editing posts and slapping wrists every day or so, or answering a "where is the quote button" question every few weeks....

Or if I can't beat 'em....

2 hours ago, roddy said:

Take it out, then. The forums have flourished for years without a quote button, and now there's also the awesome select-and-quote 功能, so either way it's improved.

I think part of the reason the quote button will be abused is that it's so accessable, easier to get to than the actual 'just reply to this post' block below.

• Like 1

Imron and Lu in agreement. I can't withstand that kind of pressure.

Done, and added a note to the editor to tell people to select to quote. Oh wait a minute, that disables select-to-quote...ok, got it now I think. Let me know if anything odd happens.

• Like 3

Also - there is another option I think, to truncate quote boxes to x number of lines with a 'show more' link to expand. However the content is still in the HTML, just hidden, and there's no way of distinguishing between a deliberate and necessary long quote, and a lazy use of the quote button.

I'm quite enjoying the back end, making those template edits and language changes was fairly straightforward. If I need to get into the guts of the scripts I'm utterly lost, mind...

• Like 2

However the content is still in the HTML, just hidden

Which means if you go with this option, then if we ever upgrade to different forums software all the quoted posts will come back.

Highlight to quote is good.  It also solves Apollys' problem in exactly the way he suggested in an earlier post.

I'm not going anywhere near any other forums software unless there's a gun to my head. The major upgrades within IPS are more than enough fun for me and I'm so far quite impressed with IPS4.1 - I'm glad I skipped 4.0 as it didn't seem ready for prime time and I'll be cautious about 4.2 (which should be out this year, but will be much more incremental than this recent 3.4 > 4.1 move)

Also, it's really just a javascript and css thing, it's not like it couldn't be recreated. The most likely software to shift to, xenfora, which Pleco's site uses, has the same option. And I reiterate, that ain't happening. 

2 minutes ago, roddy said:

And I reiterate, that ain't happening

What if Xenfora buys out IPS and shuts down support, and then 5 years later after you've been dragging your heels an not upgrading there is a critical security vulnerability found?

You never know what the future might hold ;-)