Chinese-Forums

Site upgrade!

roddy

@Gharial, there's more info on activity streams here which may be useful. It's pretty straightforward to add a header link to your followed / participated content. Attachment download counts - to be honest I think you're the only person using it like that. The data is still stored, it's just not publicly available at the moment. I'll have a look if I get a chance, but it's not top of the list.

Referring to posts by number has never been recommended - A topic split or posts getting deleted means all the numbers change, and those numbers were never visible on mobile. There's a little share icon at the top right of each post which will generate a direct link to a post (even if that post later gets moved), or you can quote a little of it (quote boxes have a direct link at top right), or just tell them it exists and they'll probably be able to find it.

I've noticed problems with image attachments in some old posts. The images are still there, they're just not displaying properly - will look into this.

Old image attachments are mostly fixed but you may have trouble trying to get full-size versions - send in a post report if it's a problem, or if you notice any other broken attachments (legacy attachments are a bit of a mess, but I think everything is there)

Admin, Thank you for taking the time and effort to upgrade this site! 

It looks less clutter and my activity can be streamline, which is easier to read.  Also, I find the new feature that shows which forum members gave feedback and click on the button "like this" useful.

Regarding Gharial suggestion about the attachment download counts, I think it is helpful to display the number of downloads as it was in the earlier site, because it can serve as a form of feedback to the person who uploaded the transcript (or information), and at the same time, it helps to identify which type of information (e.g. The Empress of China drama transcript had at least over 600 downloads or maybe more, if I recalled correctly) is being sought after by the end-users. 

I understand there are lots of important priority things to do with a site upgrade at the moment, so it is not necessary to have this feature right now, however it would be great to see the attachment download counts feature back again, at a later stage.

谢谢!:)

I am getting email notifications for things i am following, but no notifications about new posts that I used to get, is this a teething problem or is not included in the upgrade?

P.S. I have checked my settings and I think I have set it correctly.

Another thing I have noticed is that in the recent posts list it has a topic name and then underneath it says "by (someone's name)" this is the name of the last person to post. This confuses me, it makes me think that this is the OP but it's not. Was it always like this and I just didn't notice or has it changed?

I think it should show the OP as well as the latest poster.

1 hour ago, Shelley said:

Another thing I have noticed is that in the recent posts list it has a topic name and then underneath it says "by (someone's name)" this is the name of the last person to post. This confuses me, it makes me think that this is the OP but it's not. Was it always like this and I just didn't notice or has it changed?

If I remember correctly the two columns were never the same, as in one is topic based and one is post based, so maybe exactly like it is now (haven't used the page for some time before the change). This also confused me a bit on the old page where I did not really pay attention. However, I would say it does what one would expect with respect to the column names. Once you figure it out / if you use the page regularly it's actually more useful this way if you are following some of the topics via the front page.

@roddy Maybe I'm the only person with uploads that have been downloaded several thousand times. God forbid that anyone would want to gauge the popularity or usefulness of an upload from its download numbers.

I'm afraid I can't be bothered faffing around with the additional procedures that you and Imron are on about.

Keep jiggling with the site every year or two and you may well start losing members. But perhaps in my case that would be no great loss to you, eh.

By the way, do links to =getNewComment only work if you are a member and signed in?

@edelweis Sure, see my thread and resource entitled 'Guide to Simplified Radicals'. It used to be in jpeg format (with over 1000 downloads for each of certainly the first few pages) before I uploaded somewhat revised gifs, which then also got up into the 1000s (though the upload numbers had been stuck for years, another niggle). Combined downloads (old jpegs then new gifs) for all 5 pages must've reached at least 7 or 8 thousand total by now. Anyway, I just like to be able to see download numbers for my (and others') uploads.

I'm not really a regular, but sorry and even so, the endless tinkering here (and failure to ever really fix things) gets on my t*ts. Seriously guys, this upgrading has been going on for years now. If the forum software is too complex to handle or iron out then use something a tad more basic and get rid of all the bells and whistles and bloat.

How about this - shows you download figures for your files. Username dropdown menu at top right - My attachments. However it's trickier when it comes to images - if a thumbnail loads in a post, is that a 'download'. If it's clicked on and loads in the lightbox, is that? I suspect a lot of 'downloads' of image attachments are search engine indexers rather than actual visitors. 

@Shelley have you checked both notification settings and what's set up for each topic in your Followed Content.

On 1/28/2017 at 5:59 PM, Gharial said:

By the way, do links to =getNewComment only work if you are a member and signed in?

Looks that way. I'll ask and see if it can work for guests - EDIT: no. 

On 1/28/2017 at 9:50 PM, Gharial said:

I'm not really a regular, but sorry and even so, the endless tinkering here (and failure to ever really fix things) gets on my t*ts. Seriously guys, this upgrading has been going on for years now.

Well, some I win, some I lose. Feedback has generally been positive. As for endless tinkerings - there were 13 revisions of the 4.0 release and we came into 4.1 only after the 17th, so that's 30 'tinkerings' avoided. If anything the problem is that we end up with one massive upgrade rather than a number of incremental ones (although the leap from 3.4 to 4.x was always going to be big, it was a complete rewrite of the code). 

Re the new topics / posts columns - the central column is new topics, most recently posted at the top. The right hand new posts column is most recently updated. On mobile the new posts column is all you'll see. There's also an odd glitch where one or the other disappears for a few minutes.

Dodgy formatting on old posts - send in a post report when you see it and I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what's going on. There's stuff on here that's been formatted by who knows how many versions of three different sets of software (phpBB back in the day, VB and now the IPB series). 

• Like 1

Minor upgrade done - no public changes, although Imron will be glad to here there's an option to hide as well as delete posts from the mod queue. Site might be a bit slow while it rebuilds indexes. It didn't go 100% smoothly, but hopefully no consequences...

Incidentally, Googlebot at least is finding the site speedier. 

speed.png

• Like 1

I clicked on Browse --> Forums and tried to select a category (Grammar, Sentence Structures and Patterns) for posting a new post but it didn't load and showed an error. Then I tried to open a few other categories and had the same problem. Maybe it's because of the update and it's rebuilding the index, though I report this problem.

58908e490ffcd_Schermata2017-01-31alle2_16_02PM.thumb.png.71248a4208628d84e1203bc68b1d3241.png

Edited by fabiothebest
added image
  • Like 1

Ok, didn't get that sorted out but I'm putting the site back up - waiting for a couple of support responses. All should work find unless you happen across an old showthread.php link from our Vbulletin days - there's a couple of thousand of them hanging around in old posts. 

• Like 1

On 30.1.2017 at 3:25 PM, roddy said:

Re the new topics / posts columns - the central column is new topics, most recently posted at the top. The right hand new posts column is most recently updated. On mobile the new posts column is all you'll see. There's also an odd glitch where one or the other disappears for a few minutes.

I've seen that before and thought this might be the front page being rebuilt after an upgrade or server restart. Obviously if it happens more often than that (the admin should know) then it must be something else; maybe it's related to changing the login status? (Just guessing here.)