Chinese-Forums

Site upgrade!

roddy

Here's another one to ask about.

At the bottom of the activity stream only have a 'Load more activity' button displayed if there is actually more activity to display.

Every time I click it, it says "There's no more activity to display "

Hi @roddy, it seems now we don't have a numbering system for the posts in a thread. I mean the so-called 樓號, #1, #2, etc. Inconvenient if I just want to say "as xxx pointed out in #2" or "I agree with #2" without using the quote function. Is it possible to bring it back?

I also think we should have post numbers, roddy's reasons for not having them make sense but there are old posts that use them and now they make no sense. On reflection I think the usefulness outweighs the odd problem with posts being removed, I don't remember this happening that much, posts get edited and things but not so many completely deleted.

Send in a post report if you spot one that's a problem and I'll edit a link in. You're right posts don't get deleted often (Yet. I'd dearly love to take an ax to the older threads), but if you need to find a post to get its number, then getting the link doesn't take much more time (using the share icon at top right of every post) and it's an awful lot easier for someone to click that than figure out where post #xx is on a 5 page topic.

Old links are now redirecting correctly - so if you come across something like this from 10 years ago the old format links match up with the new site. There's another issue I've spotted with offsite links which I'm working on getting fixed. There's been quite a bit of that kind of trouble-shooting so I'm behind on the stuff I'd like to be doing but getting there, and I've been able to consistently spend a decent amount of time on the site the last few weeks.

Significant stuff still to get to...

1) Reorganise. We have too many forums with not enough activity.

2) New mod team - I haven't forgotten, but there's no point bringing people on till we're more settled

3) Bulk email out to introduce the changes to those who aren't visiting regularly

4) Stretch goal - culling unneeded content (flatmate ad from 2009? Unanswered question about nice bars in Beijing from 2012?), better highlighting the good content.

There's other stuff, but that's the main public-facing ones.

Too complicated to pay for and install yet one more IME, then keep switching them around. Just need at times a quick way to insert a letter like è. Doesn't actually have to be a complete soft-keyboard. Just add some fixed text there that lays out for us the letters ā á ǎ à ē é ě è ō ó ǒ ò ī í ǐ ì ū ú ǔ ù ǖ ǘ ǚ ǜ. We can then copy and insert the letters individually as needed: that would be enough. Usually here we're just adding a few words in Pinyin, not long text.

The site would be a lot more helpful if more posters used tone marks.

Pinyinput is honestly not difficult to install, completely painless. It even has a keyboard shortcut. Although giving all the letters with tone marks is not a bad idea either.

15 hours ago, 889 said:

We can then copy and insert the letters individually as needed: that would be enough

Not sure how this is somehow less effort than switching IMEs to Pinyinput.  Re: cost, Pinyinput is free if you put $0 in the 'Pay what you want' field.

Minor update applied, shouldn't be any visible changes. Pinyinput is great, you should all have it. A lot of great people, very smart people, have been telling me how good it is. Soft keyboards are failing, very overrated. Sad!

• Like 1