Chinese-Forums

Site upgrade!

roddy

Posting more often than once in quick succession in the same thread now merges the posts. Could you change it so that there will be a visible seperation between the texts, at least a new paragraph. Right now the next post is added in a new line only, while the contents might be totally unrelated. So one might write two easily scanable / well formatted posts which end up harder to scan / read / missing visible separation, wanting the author to edit it again to restore some separation.

Often the second post is just a quick add on to the first; in such a case the additional paragraph shouldn't be a problem (it's easier to read than the other way around) and can also be regarded as a hint to the reader that there was a merge.

I found it weird too. Posting 2 posts in a row merges them even if there is a time interval, so it looks like it was written at the same time which is actually wrong and can lead to confusion and misunderstanding.

it was nice when only admin could merge posts.

Imron, those links you flagged up now work as they should. There's one other format of /page__ link still to be fixed, but that should be done soon. There's only 600 of all the page__ format links in the entire database (I thought there were way more until I realised _ is a wildcard search in LIKE queries and has to be escaped). I think they were generated by the search engine for a while and were overlooked when they were coding 4.0.

Upgrade to PHP7 coming in several hours time, will stick a warning up nearer to the time. 

If anyone feels inclined - select 'experimental' from the theme drop down in the footer. It should make the page loads a bit quicker, but may result in oddities - only thing I've noticed is the editor toolbar looking a bit funny (edit - fixed!). It's just shifting javascript to the footer. 

On 08/02/2017 at 2:32 PM, Mati1 said:

I just noticed that the "Currently reading this thread" user list is gone. Can the upgraded forum show this as well? (Maybe even more accurate than before due to funky realtime transfers, as in the server wouldn't just be looking at last page call timestamps and timeout.)

That's back, at the bottom of the page. An overall issue with user online displays is that sessions are now the default php length of 24 minutes, rather than customisable (we had it at 60 minutes), so things look a lot less busy. I should be able to fix that.

The CDN seems to be working fine, and we're now serving more cached requests than uncached. Haven't heard of it causing any problems.

Search is still not doing exactly what it should do, but working on that.

Tomorrow hopefully set up a full test install I can use for trial upgrades and stuff (no more seeing the word 'test' appear at random points as I try and figure out what template does what on a live server). Need to clear out a bunch of unnecessary files. Then after that it's more tweaks and community / public facing changes. And maybe some of my actual translation work.

Server's in much better shape, load figures aren't hitting 0.50 (was regularly in the 2s and 3s). Pages are faster - dotcom-tools.com average 1st visit load speed over 24 locations went from 9.0 seconds to 4.2 seconds, 2nd visit from 2.4 to 1.8. There are more improvements to make, but they might break stuff so I'll bring those in gradually.

If there's stuff I've not addressed, here or elsewhere - I *think* I have track of everything and will be responding, even if it's just a case of 'get used to it'. But squeaky wheels get oiled, so feel free to remind me...

• Like 2

I left this for a while to let you sort the big issues. I would like to update my blog with a new entry, I had a look but can't find the new entry button.

Also is it possible for it to say "A blog by Shelley" instead of by roddy, I know why its like that but can it be changed?