Chinese-Forums

The green "like" points have disappeared

abcdefg

It seems the green "like" points that used to show in the lower right corner of the post have disappeared. I realize they were sometimes abused, so this might not be a bad thing. Still, I wanted to bring it up for discussion.

I used them to estimate the amount of interest in a post that I had made. If a new topic only garnered a few green points, I assumed it was not very popular. That guided me in the way I presented future posts; guided me in topic selection, composition of the post and the way I presented it. I also used the number of views as a rough guide to levels of reader interest.

Are there other ways now to get that same sort of feedback information? The reason it matters is that I prefer to try and meet the needs of readers here; I prefer not to just post things in a vacuum. If nobody cares about hearing this or that; if nobody finds it of interest; then I stop including that in my posts or decrease it to a minimum.

I'm mainly talking here about the food, drink, cooking and eating topics that I like to post on Chinese Forums. I tend to always fiddle with them to make them more along the lines of what might be useful or interesting to readers and members here. So any methods I can use to tell what works and what doesn't are useful to me in fine-tuning that ongoing project.

It's too bad though that it doesn't ask 'Helpful?' anymore. I had gotten into the habit to upvote posts that were either good answers or well-asked questions. I think I'll just continue to do so, even if it will look a bit funny if I 'like' a post that is just a question.

• Like 1

You can always post and say that. There's not going to be any 'types' of like, but I'm sure you can all interpret the 'like' button as you will. So Yadang, I like your post. But I don't like like your post.

@abcdefg - as Yadang said, the green points are now converted to likes, and you can also see who liked it. Some other additions are that we keep better track of who's posting much-liked content - see the Leaderboard under the Browse menu, and also on your profile you may see a panel telling you which day you had the most-liked content. Those things are new and I'm open to ideas on how to use them.