Chinese-Forums

Minimum number of tuition hours for an X2 student visa?

aless

I was in Xiamen last summer on a tourist L visa and I attended a  private school. I took one-to-one classes where I could learn a lot faster than with group classes, and I am quite happy with my progress to almost intermediate level.

But studying on a tourist visa (Italian passport, maximum 60 days double entry plus a not guaranteed 30 days extension, exist after the first 30 days) is not very good.

So I was thinking about an X2 visa, I work as a translator and I cannot enrol when semesters start at Universities, I would like to sign up at a private school, this coming March or April, but before I contact my old school or other possible candidate schools in China, I'd like to know if there is a minimum number of hours trequirement o be able to apply for an X2 visa.

As far as I know X2 visas are for periods of 180 days or less, but I couldn't find how many hours minimum in that six months window. 

I would fly to Hong Kong and apply for my student visa there, or I can also go with a tourist visa, get the needed paperwork done at the school and go back to HK to apply for the student visa. Xiamen is just a few hours away.

Anybody with direct experience applying for an X2 visa for, say, 6 months, at a private school?

I could be wrong, but when I looked into this a couple of years ago all of the private schools I contacted said only the universities can supply a student visa, be it an X1 or X2. Not too sure whether it's a rule, or they were just saying they can't apply for the student visas.

9 hours ago, aless said:

maximum 60 days double entry

I'm Italian too. I'd say forget about 60 days double entry tourism visa. I've seen giving only up to 30 days for Italian citizens.

Anyway about X2 I don't think there is an exact minimum number of days. I'd say you need to stay for more than 30 days, else you could just use a tourism visa. Normally they allow you to enter 1-2 weeks prior to the beginning of the course so you don't have to start immediately after you arrive and they give you some days after the end of the course. It's up to 180 days but I believe they give a number of days related to the length of the course. Looking online I've seen samples of visas valid for up to 90 days and 180 days for example. I don't have a direct experience about getting X2 visa so others hopefully can give more info.

There certainly are some private schools that can provide student visas, I guess I'll have to take group lessons. I don't know about the costs though, I'll check with my old school and see what they say. I've found a few threads on this forums but they are all quite old, so if anybody has up to date experiences, please let me know.

@fabio, a double entry tourist visa (30 days + 30 days, you have to exit China after the first 30 days and reenter) is very easy to get through the usual agencies in Hong Kong, I got one in June last year, I don't think things have changed. Like any other tourist visa you can then apply for an extension at the local PSB for another 30 days at the end of you second entry. That gives you a total of more or less 90 days, but it's a bit of a hassle as you need to exit after 30 days and you cannot be sure of the extension, renting a place gets also a bit complicated because of all the uncertainty. I ended up spending the three months in a (very cheap) guest house.

• Like 1

@aless yeah if you don't mind going to Hong Kong first. At embassies and consulates in Italy instead up to 30 days unfortunately. Also having to exit and enter China every 30 days is doable but not very convenient. If you want to take the Hong Kong route I heard it's possible to get M visas (for business affairs) up to 6 months, still exiting and entering every 30 days..I've got 1 tourism visa in Hong Kong too, though maybe it's better not to do it too often. Chinese authorities know about the Hong Kong visa agencies business..

Just to say it's not true that only universities can give X2 Visas (at least from the UK Consulate), I got an X2 Visa to go to a private school earlier this year in Harbin. Didn't get any questions about minimum hours of tuition or anything like that. I was told X1 was not possible except from a university though.

Hey Aless,

I didn't get sent any forms - I just had an invitation letter confirming that I had paid my deposit and was studying for 4-5 months at the school. They didn't even ask me for booked  return flights. When filling in the visa application form I just ticked the box for 'short term study for under 180 days'. I submitted a postal application.

Where are you applying from?