Chinese-Forums

Mobile Site

Shelley

Couple of questions about the mobile site/version.

When you go to the site on a mobile phone is this different to using a tablet? How do you access the mobile site and what are the benefits of using it.

Is there any reason not to sign in from a mobile/tablet and on my PC. In other words is it ok to be signed in from 2 places a the same time?

Thanks for any help.

I'm actually looking at this now, as I'm making the home page more manageable on mobile. 

Tablet: Should be basically the same as on desktop

Phone: Some content is hidden (for example the 'Chinese' and 'Location' fields under everyone's avatar. Pretty much all functionality should be there, but it may require finding drop-down menus or clicking through more pages. I'm actually delighted with the new mobile version, I find it very usable.

I'm constantly switching between phone and desktop and haven't had any problems. To access the mobile version just use your usual phone browser to go to chinese-forums.com - it'll automatically detect you're on a phone and serve up the correct version. 

Ah so a phone is considered mobile and a tablet is just the normal site..yes?

1 hour ago, roddy said:

I'm constantly switching between phone and desktop and haven't had any problems.

So do you remain logged into both all the time?

First time I have quoted on the new site ..Yeah its great.

Yep. In the past when some information was stored in cookies it might cause minor problems - topics you'd read would show up as unread again. But it's all in the database now and I'm not aware of any possible problems 

3 minutes ago, Shelley said:

Ah so a phone is considered mobile and a tablet is just the normal site..yes?

I believe so - it's possible that a tablet with very low resolution might get the mobile version, I don't know. But basically yes, that's how it works. In fact, you can watch it change - if you take your browser window on desktop and shrink it down, at some point it'll automatically switch to the mobile version. 

Actually the proper way to explain it is (I think) - it depends on the horizontal resolution of your screen. Wide enough and you get the full site, narrow enough and you get the mobile version. A really big phone screen might get the full version, and in some cases switching between portrait and landscape orientation on your table might make it change. 

One thing I've noticed is that the menu that used to house the Search function etc isn't appearing on my ol' Gingerbread mobile (which generally renders sites better than my newer Lollipop). Not the end of the world but not sure it's exactly progress either. Anyway, not my site and not my problems to fix!

See you guys same time next year when the site's undergone yet another revamp.