Chinese-Forums

What is the word?

Flickserve

This is a recording from a lesson I had. I would like to know if I am hearing a regional accent.

The teacher wrote down what she said after listening.

I would like your opinion first. Please listen and give your interpretation of what she says. I have the rest of the text but to have less bias, I only give you the first part which is fine for me and provides some context.

Thanks

我是一个兼职学生,......

20161218_A.mp3

Edited by Flickserve

Well, it didn't sound like a 3-2 tone pair at all. I was pretty sure it was 2-3 although I would believe that it's 2-5 or maybe even 1-(2 or 3 or 5). But definitely not 3-2. Overall 只有 is the only thing I could think of that seemed to fit but I'm not confident enough in the completeness of my knowledge to rule out that it's something else I don't know or can't think of.

Thanks to all who contributed

This is what she sent back to me

我是一个兼职学生,因为我只有周末去上课

On listening back, I really could not hear 'you' and was wondering if it was some regional expression or whether I was hearing things.

It almost sounds like the person reading the script has messed up and tried saying 因为我周六上课 and then corrected themselves halfway through.  Whatever the situation, if this is in materials intended for teaching its a pretty annoying mix-up.  I'd ask your teacher to clarify Flickserve (and let us know what she says of course).

@somethingfunny

The sentence came from free conversation. We did not follow a script rather more following a question discussion format. I recorded our conversation and sent back to her the sentences I had difficulty with. She then typed out exactly what she said. Except this time, there was a big discrepancy.

You may be quite right about changing the intended expression mid-sentence. It is something I do a lot in English. I will check with her. I don't mind it myself. It is part of comprehension skills in real life which is something I really need to improve upon.