Chinese-Forums

採 vs 采

nipponman

This is a question about these two words. My dictionary says that 采 is a simplification of 採

(even though 採 probably didn't exist anciently) but I remember learning them both at different times. Are there any words you can use 采 for but not 採? I guess what I'm asking is, are these two characters more analogus to 作 and 做 or 才 and 纔? Any help would be appreciated.

nipponman

Nipponman, this is explained clearly in the electronic version of the ABCD dictionary. "A variant form of 采 is 採, which among full-form characters is interchangeable with 采 in many, though not all, contexts. " That sounds like 采 is correct in traditional characters, but *may* be replaced by 採 in some contexts, but raises the question, which contexts? I have lost my link to Taiwan's online guoyu dictionary, which may explain further.

This is why I dislike simplified characters - combining characters and creating confusion.

采 is the simplified character of 採, but it also has its original meanings. Same case as 后.

Take a look ->

採 -> http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/cgi-bin/agrep-lindict?query=%b1%c4&category=wholerecord

采 -> http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/cgi-bin/agrep-lindict?query=%aa%f6&category=wholerecord

Are there any words you can use 采 for but not 採?

Yes, like 神采, 風采, 精采, 采邑, 興高采烈, 多姿多采, etc

This is why I dislike simplified characters - combining characters and creating confusion.
Me too!

Yes, like 神采, 風采, 精采, 采邑, 興高采烈, 多姿多采, etc

Ok, thanks. thats what I'm looking for. Personally, I like both of them, and want to use both of them.

nipponman