Chinese-Forums

New avatars for all...

roddy

As Roddy said above in Post ??, " . . . it already seems to be the case than an ugly avatar encourages people to upload their own. I'm happy with that."

Let me vote against that approach towards social control. Besides, the site as a whole should look attractive to draw people in, and ugly avatars dotted all over don't help.

Tah-dah! Had to shrink font size so the Chinese didn't get cut off, and it looks a little too small with latin letters now, but...

What about the gradient? Too much? Also, I'm in a position to tell you that less than 1% of members have Chinese character names.

I agree, the gradient is ugly. But I'd also prefer the monochromous avatars because they give a clearer distinction between the different avatars (and thus members in a thread). I'd change them back for that reason, if possible.

12 hours ago, roddy said:

Also, I'm in a position to tell you that less than 1% of members have Chinese character names.

Wait, what? There should be none because it never worked. I thinkt it was the login that was broken, at least before the upgrade. (This is my third try for a working account; couldn't get the first two to work. The first one had Chinese characters in the name, the second one Pinyin with tone marks, though in that case it looked like an e-mail problem if I remember correctly. I guess I should contact the admin again to delete them :P)

• 1 month later...

I have notice a slight problem with the new avatar system of using the first 2 letters has become confusing. At the moment for example there are 2 people with KA and 2 people with MI.

I liked the concept but maybe its needs one more character to help distinguish it or perhaps KA and KA2 or something. Or the second one uses the first and third letter and so on.

It is making me have to double check who is posting what, its not a big problem really but has taken away the quick scan ability it allowed in the beginning.