Chinese-Forums

在未 。。。之前

Tulee

In fact, '未' or '之前' can be removed in many cases, e.g.

人在未判罪之前,應視其無罪。

vs

人未經判罪,應視其無罪。

鋼筆在未被發明之前,中國人用毛筆寫字。

vs

鋼筆問世之前,中國人用毛筆寫字。

花在未開之前便已零落。

vs

花(還)未開,便已零落。

Fixed - I'm not sure what was going on there, might have been something to do with how and where you were copying links. If you notice it happening again drop me a pm and we'll take a closer look. Actually hang on...

test

No, that's fine. Ok, let me know if you have any more problems. 

在未判罪之前,刑事訴訟必須保障疑犯免受監禁、逼供之苦、

How about 判決之前,必須保障罪嫌免受監禁、逼供之苦? 
*I don’t think it is appropriate to use 判罪 even in the original sentence.

在未燦爛之前就已凋零

How about 未及綻放,就已凋零? 
*I assume what 凋零ed were flowers? If so, I don’t think 璀璨 can be used here.

在未遇见你之前,我不愿将就

How about 沒遇見妳,我不願將就?

爱在未死之前

I don’t think there is anything wrong with 愛在未死時.

Chinese is not so rigid as a language.

This topic reminds me a bit of discussions about whether it's wrong to ever split an infinitive in English. Personally I think it's fine. But I know lots of smart people don't. And if I was writing for someone who might judge a split infinitive as evidence of carelessness or ignorance, I'd avoid it.

2 minutes ago, realmayo said:

This topic reminds me a bit of discussions about whether it's wrong to ever split an infinitive in English.

Yes, I was also thinking of Douglas Adam's humorous sentence "And all dared to brave unknown terrors, to do mighty deeds, to boldly split infinitives that no man had split before--and thus was the Empire forged." :P

Your point is taken. What I am trying to say is that there is often a better way to say things in Chinese.

I understand that in any language if a flawed expression is used widely enough, it becomes correct and accepted. For example, correctly speaking we can only say 此人討厭 and it would be wrong to say 我討厭妳 because 討厭 is an intransitive verb which means 招人嫌惡. But today so many people (in fact everyone) use 討厭 to mean hate or dislike that the word is even defined this way in dictionaries.

Edit: Just to add that I have no problem even with 愛在我死之前. Also consider 愛在有生之年.

我們的語文已經一代不如一代.

Although this seems to clash with an impression I've got when people have discussed calligraphy:

- Yes, everyone tends to write this way, but this way is WRONG

- It was written like that by certain famous calligraphers so that way must be RIGHT

:mrgreen:

As for the discussion in this topic, it's way above my pay grade and making my brain hurt but: perhaps those people who liked to say 在未死之先 might have had grounds for being annoyed with people who started replacing the 先 with a 前?