Chinese-Forums

Finding a teaching institution in China as an elderly laowai

laogui

I haven't read all the above posts, but the answer to your main query is to just go to a private language school. They don't care how old you are. Keep it simple; don't make it complex. Find your city, find your lodging, find your school. One, two, three. And then get on with life. Don't invite complications and don't inject drama. 

Honestly, they're not going to be that interested until you're on the doorstep and they can see that you're not half mad, destitute or leprous, and that you have the visa and accommodation to indicate you'll be around for more than a couple of weeks. And even then, they might just be full. 

The only way I think this works is if you choose a city, go there, and then start figuring out what your options - private or university - are. Harbin and Kunming have been popular as being decent cities with decent options in both sectors. 

• 1 year later...

@laogui how did you get on? I've also applied to XJTLU for their Autumn language course starting September 2018. I've been accepted but not paid the tuition fees yet. 

I asked a while back if anyone had experience of this place but no response. 

[ Aside to @roddy — lots more hits showing up for a search on 'XJTLU' now than previously... presumably the new back-end doing its magic? ] 

I do know people who've worked at University of Liverpool and I trust that they would be very picky about who they collaborate with in China, but first-hand experience would be good to hear.

I'm also 比较老 (although won't be catching you up just yet).  Suzhou seems like a nice place to be for a while.  I'll be visiting for a few days in July, along with Shanghai, Hangzhou and Nanjing. 

13 hours ago, mungouk said:

@laogui how did you get on? I've also applied to XJTLU for their Autumn language course starting September 2018. I've been accepted but not paid the tuition fees yet. 

He got his nose out of joint a year or so ago and returned to Australia all angry and upset about the way China had mistreated him. Don't think he has posted here since.