Chinese-Forums

Anyone interested in posting photo albums?

roddy

Untitled.pngI've installed a gallery add-on for the site - see image. I'm just experimenting with this at the moment, but if we can get a few folk who reckon they'll regularly post relevant stuff I'd be happy to stick with it. I'm thinking

1) Chinese street photos

2) Chinese food and cooking

3) Chinese writing - signs and notes you come across

4) Campus life

Ideally I'm thinking fewer photos with a sentence or two of explanation, rather than lots of photos with no context. Anyone interested? Bear in mind you can post directly from your phone now. At the moment it's just private, so you're welcome to post any old rubbish just to get a feel for it. 

Post in here or send me a pm and I'll add you to the relevant user group so you have access. And if you wouldn't post anything but would love others to post stuff for you to see, say so and that'll encourage 'em.

Yes please, would love to see photos on the subjects you suggest.

As some one who is interested in all aspects of life chinese or other, one of my favourite subjects is arts and crafts, architecture and cultural art, I would like to see this as a section.

I think a lot of forum members are talented and it would be nice to their work too.

Not being in China I couldn't contribute but would love to see other's photos.

Signese was a great feature, but it died because nobody could find it.

I think trying this again is a fine idea, but to work -- that is, draw a crowd -- it needs to be integrated into the forum. If it's an offshoot with a small link a few clicks away, it'll just die again after about six months of activity from a few posters.

Do I need to do anything different than what I'm now doing in order to try it out? Is there any special approach or technique? Not sure I understand how to use the gallery add on instead of just posting photos the way I usually do.

You should have a gallery tab in the header now. If you click that and then 'add images' it'll walk you through the process of choosing a category (there's only two just now, as we're testing) and either creating an album, or just uploading them into the category itself, then adding captions.

If you can't see the gallery tab let me know - you should do, as I've put you in the correct user group.

Excellent. Current niggles are that images aren't rotating to portrait correctly when they should, working on a fix for that. And while the process works, if you go back a stage you can get stuck and have to start again. I wouldn't try and do anything significant with it at the moment, just upload a few pics, add captions, see what you think...

Oooh, image annotation...

notes.png

Sorting's a problem though. You can't click and drag the photos into the order you want, and sorting by start date means the most recent pic is shown first - but if you're doing a recipe or trip photos, that's exactly what you don't want. 

• 2 weeks later...

@roddy I'm sure if there would be a small box on the front page showing (linking to) the latest photo this would draw many clicks and spark comments. Comments can be easily added, can't they? I can't see an example and it hasn't been discussed in depth above.

Right now the front page feels a bit bare (no photos), faster though.

@somethingfunny You tought me two new words but they are not even Chinese! Try harder please.