Chinese-Forums

陷入 - translation

chinesekitten

So somebody (let's call him a friend) just texted me this: 你会让他人陷入你. Because before that I told him that I'd like to work, but there's nothing I can do and he answered this. 

I would translate it as: "You can people make fall for you/get lost in you." or something like this - in a kinda romantic sense of way. But honestly it could mean anything, because I don't really know the proper usage of 陷入. 

So I wanted to know what people on here think about this and which meaning it's suppposed to have (please tell me it's nothing sexual hahah). 

Note: My friend is a non-chinese person too, so maybe he didn't even use 陷入 in the right way, I don't know. But his Chinese is better than mine, so I always think he uses vocab the right way.

Thanks to everybody who tries to help me! 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, chinesekitten said:

Japanese

Potentially makes more sense as a direct translation of Japanese then lol. First Chinese-Japanese dictionary I checked lists 陷入 as "(不利な状況に)陥る" and "(物思いに)沈む".

Google says 君に沈む (loosely 陷入你) is an, ahem, boys love comic. 君に陥る for some reason also returns the search items やがて君になる :/ which is a manga about girls falling in love.

Sooooooooooo my cross-linguistic non-analysis says he was trying to flirt with you.

• Like 1

@陳德聰 

Oh wow that's so interesting tho. And also it seems like I wasn't that far away from his meaning to start with :'D

Your analysis still helps a lot, so thanks for putting so much effort into helping me with this trivial question haha. 

P.S.: The amount of languages you masterd is more than impressive. I hope I can learn Japanese and Korean too after mastering Chinese :D