Chinese-Forums

Oracle bone translation help

k43op5

I'm not an oracle bone expert, but I know enough to know that this is a fake. The character 舌 shows up in a few places, but many of the other forms seem to be gibberish. The huge 虎 near the center is written in seal script, which is a huge anachronism (oracle bone script predates seal script by well over 1000 years). The ritualistic language usually used on these things is absent. The weird bubble characters for 天 and 工 (I assume that's what that's supposed to be) are another dead giveaway, as is the absence of divination cracks and the perfect roundness of the drilled holes. Also, the "characters" seem to be drawn on, rather than scratched into the surface.

Definitely a fake.

• Like 2

Many thx for your answer. During my research i found That Oracle bones were still in use after 2nd mill and not only during Shang. It was sometimes used for genealogy or other purpose and not only divination. Characters aren't drawn but it is scratched.

any chance to translate in order to see what it tells?

3 hours ago, k43op5 said:

any chance to translate in order to see what it tells?

Like I said, it's mostly gibberish. Most "characters" on there aren't characters at all.

2 hours ago, k43op5 said:

Here is an article showing that there had been some ox scapulae oracle bone done during warring states

The script in the picture you showed isn't Warring States script, but a poor attempt at Shang oracle bone script.

It doesn't "need thorough inspection." It's a fake. An obvious one.