Chinese-Forums

Two unis: SISU vs ECNU Chinese language course. Help needed.

mesmerized

• New Members

Dear All,

I have to decide by tomorrow if I'm going to enroll in a Chinese course offered either by SISU (Shanghai International Studies University) or East China Normal University (ECNU)

Both offer regular and intensive courses (the intensive course being 36h/week and 29h/week respectively for SISU and ECNU) Has anyone studied there? I want to maximize my time and put as much effort as possible, but I'm worried that 36h might be a tad too much to handle. My current level is somewhere around HSK4. Naturally, teaching quality is of great importance as well. Could anyone offer any input, insights, or opinions regarding those two schools and their programs? 

Thank you!

@LinZhenPu - EMU and SISU are both located in Shanghai. I don't know where you got the whole thing about if you study in Shanghai, you will pick up the so-called bad pronunciation. I don't know anyone who speaks Mandarin with the Shanghainese pronunciation.

People from different countries will pronounce Mandarin words in a specific way that is very similar to the way they pronounce words in their native language. Some of us choose to consciously change the way we pronounce these words to make them sound more like the way Beijing people speak.

@mesmerized - I heard lots of good things about both universities. I have friends who have studied at either schools. I'm under the impression that SISU is quite lenient and laissez faire, which is not necessarily a bad thing. That said, I would go with the 29h/week schedule.

I've just applied to ECNU for the Intensive Chinese Program. My choices were Jiaotong, Fujian, or ECNU. I forgot why I didn't consider SISU though.

On 2/20/2017 at 7:01 PM, LinZhenPu said:

Go to Shanghai and you will pick up bad pronunciation habits from the locals.

They have bad pronunciation? Is this the Shanghainese? Can't imagine how it's any different though.