Chinese-Forums

(Work) Life After HSK

歐博思

Firstly, after one passes the HSK 6, are there any other tests which would really help one get a foot in the door in translation/interpretation? Secondly, in your Chinese-forum vast experiences, would it be helpful to pursue any other Chinese certification tests if one wanted to be very hireable in in some non-translation field which requires Chinese ability? Thanks :D

15 hours ago, goldy said:

What type of translation and interpretation are you hoping to do and are you planning to work in China or another country?

I'm pretty open on location. There are many interesting places on the globe that speak at least some Chinese after all. :wink: Top choice for me would probably be Taiwan, but I don't know how many opportunities there are there. I'm also considering Japan, and of course China.

But I must say, the 'putonghua ceshi' referenced by heifeng in imron's link (thanks!) sounds like it'd be a good test for me since it would grade my Chinese relative to Chinese people, leaving no doubt about my language abilities. Then I'd be able to focus more on mastering some other area's skills. I'm pretty interested in high tech electronic fields (Elon Musk is my hero), so very standard Mandarin+other hard skills could be just what the doctor ordered.

15 hours ago, goldy said:

Others job opportunities might require a degree in translation and interpretation or more.

Obviously UN conferences would require special training, but off the top of your head are there any positions you can think of which would require translation/interpretation training that wouldn't seem obvious at first?

Usually interpreting as staff of any other major international organization like the World Bank, WHO or the IMF, working for the government of your own country as a contract or staff interpreter, or doing any type of high level conference interpretation work in most industries would either require significant interpretation experience, professional training or both. Interpretation work at more general or less formal conferences, for certain business activities, consultation and that sort of thing could potentially be done just through luck, connections, and putting yourself out there. This is especially the case for groups that aren't willing to pay a professional rate for interpretation services and just want bilingual help to get something done.  

I've heard of people with bilingual skills ending up interpreting for universities or higher ups in certain companies long term just because they were already affiliated with those groups and had the relevant background knowledge. That is another potential way to develop skills over time without receiving any formal training or education.