Chinese-Forums

Gradually disappearing pinyin - web app

webmagnets

Let me work on that. 

What are some examples of statistics you would like to see? 

Thank you very much for your feedback. 

Edited by webmagnets
Typo

I've been using slowmersion for a couple of days now and I must say I really like it! If you add a number of long articles it quickly leaves out pinyin for common words, because they were used in previous articles.

I also like that I can read articles from different devices. I can add an article on my laptop and then read it on the bus using my smartphone. I'll definitely keep using it and report back if I find any bugs.

First religion now the opposite!

I will do my best to fix that. 

---

Ok, I'm back. I may have fixed it. If it still shows something offensive, please let me know.

Edited by webmagnets
update
  • Like 2

I find that sometimes the paragraphs on slowmersion are in a different order than in the actual article. @webmagnets, are you aware of this?

For example, see the attached screenshot with the source article (or rather, chapter from a novel) on the right and slowmersion on the left. Notice the big paragraph is not actually on the page, but it's on page four together with another large paragraph which was also missing earlier in the chapter.

Oh, and another thing: This "how did you hear about us" blocks a large part of the screen on mobile. Would it be possible to place it somewhere else?

2017-03-10 (1).png

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I'll need to investigate what could be causing that. Can you get me the text you are using? 

Also, a question for you: if you try to answer the "how did you hear about us" question once more does it go away? I made some changes, so it might go away this time. Let me know please. 

Hi webmagnets.

So I've been using the program with my grade 3 through grade 5 students for around a week and half. I have also been using it myself.

Firstly, they enjoy using it (which is great!). Motivation plays a big part in young western kids learning mandarin so this is important. As a teacher I like it because it can be modified for students at different levels and they also have control over their own learning by selecting when to hid pinyin.

Some areas which caused them confusion (and then me!!) include:

-when they login, if they make a mistake typing password or email is wrong, it just says something along the lines of login forbidden, so that confuses them. It would be better if it just says password incorrect or no user with that email etc etc.

-a more natural feeling was to click the character when they knew the pinyin in order to take it away. The software is the opposite so that annoyed them. Also when they logged in the next day they had forgotten some of the pinyin again and wanted to put it back. But it was a laborious multi-step process (for me!!) each time. They couldnt do it.

-if you leave the page without clicking any characters, it assumes you know all the pinyin which annoyed them as well.

I think schools could be a market for this program, so it would be useful for it to be  a little more intuitive and student friendly. I see a nice link with thechairmansbao, which my school has an annual subscription, and no doubt many other schools do too.

hope this helps. am happy to keep using it with my students in the future if a couple of things could be ironed out. 

cheers

atongmu

-a more natural feeling was to click the character when they knew the pinyin in order to take it away. The software is the opposite so that annoyed them.

That is interesting. I'd never considered that.

I think the best way to explain how to use the app most effectively is to read with the attitude that you want to completely understand what the text means and as you are reading, click on every word you aren't 100% sure you know 100%.

I send you a direct message. I'd like to discuss your ideas further on skype.

Thanks a million for giving it a try with your students.