Chinese-Forums

I have a PS4, a VPN - Astrill, and an ethernet cable - yet I still cant connect to the internet

GotJack

Hi there,

I bought a PS4 about 6 months ago, with the intention of playing FIFA (the football game online). Unfortunately this has thwarted me, as despite my best efforts I havent been able to connect.  Its frustrating as I have a colleague who can connect straight off the bat.

So I currently have Astril VPN on my laptop, which works great, Ive set it to share connection, and set astrill to share VPN. Plugged my ps4 into my macbook via the cable, thinking it can use the VPN and as such connect

But nothing, 

so my ps4 continues to sit, gathering dust, unless anyone has any tips?....

This is the response from asking the question on line:

What you need to do is a bridge connection.
  1. Connect your PS4 to the laptop via ethernet, connect the laptop to the internet via wifi.
  2. Open Network and Sharing Center.
  3. Click Change Adapter Settings on the left.
  4. Select the WIFI adapter and LAN adapter together.
  5. Right click on either and select "Bridge Connection.

This might help?? don't know.

Hi Shelley, I have already had a go at that, but hasnt seemed to worked. In the mac setting you can tell it to share its wifi connection via ethernet, then plug a cable from my laptop to PS4, switch the VPN on my laptop on, and voila the PS4 connects to the internet. Well at least thats what suppose to happen :(

My colleague lives in Beijing, same as me!

Does your friend have a mac? what are your colleague's settings? Maybe you need to check they are the same.

This kind of thing can be frustrating:P

Yours can be exactly the same but still won't work. it can be as simple as the order your do it or as complicated as reinstalling things.

My knowledge on this subject is small and I haven't got any more suggestions, hope you get it going.

6 hours ago, GotJack said:

In the mac setting you can tell it to share its wifi connection via ethernet, then plug a cable from my laptop to PS4, switch the VPN on my laptop on,

I think you are supposed to set up the vpn first, and it will have its own interface, then when you configure internet sharing, you share from that interface and not the plain ethernet.

This example is L2TP VPN but see if yours is similar. Note the "Share your connection from:" selection box.

https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/share-vpn-connection-mac/#sharing

Yeah I have selected share connection on my VPN as well as my mac.

However Publius, you may have a point! I think im using an ethernet cable, rather than a crossover cable. From a google search, they look the same but have different functions. How exciting, maybe this is the issue!

Time to get on taobao and get me a crossover cable. Will keep you all informed ;)

If you have access to another lan-internet capable device you could connect it instead of the PS4 and see if it can go online. Could still be some kind of bridging lan-config problem after all.

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

I know this is an older post, but I came across it looking for a related issue. I hope you got it working!

Bridging can be tricky (for me it works sometimes but often messes up my network connections). Luckily since you're using Astrill you don't need it.

Astrill has built-in VPN sharing. If you open the Astrill app on your laptop, then in Setting's you'll find VPN sharing. Activate this, and then any device on your local network can be routed through the VPN, just by changing the Gateway/DNS settings on that device to the address the Astrill app will give you. I get much better download speeds for my PS4 and vita doing it this way.

I think NordVPN has something similar, maybe others but I don't have experience with them.