Chinese-Forums

An exhibition tour of Chinese characters NEEDS a name!!!

Iris Dai

@Shelley

Hi Shelley

In the picture 漢字造夢(汉字造梦) is written in calligraphy, and right below it is 环球巡展 in digital font. 

If the actual character 环 is what you are having trouble with, it is just composed of 玉(王)+不, where the 不 component has elongated "tails", meaning the second and forth strokes of this character have been made longer than the standard form. Fonts in Chinese often distort the actual character to make it fit a certain aesthetic that the writer desires.

• Like 1

@Shelleyyou mean this?

58c2ce5e2ad82_.png.72f66e514b2a4e75cef6b6d1552f34b9.png

王 + 不 = 环

Yes it's just a different font. You can check out more fonts here: http://www.qt86.com/

Type 环球巡展 into the textbox, choose 368.逐浪雅宋体 (the last one) from the "字体" dropdown list, click "点击生成" and you'll see almost the same effect.

Well this is one reason I love learning chinese, there is always something more to learn. This has open my eyes to the fact that I may have to do a bit of practise looking at different fonts and seeing how much I can recognise and learn some of the variations.

Thanks everyone for your help. Thanks Publius for that link I will go and have a look.

4 hours ago, Shelley said:

So does it mean round the world universal tour? seems a bit much.

Chinese works differently than English. Especially in slogans and short phrases, what sounds nice in one language doesn't always sound nice in the other one when it is translated literally. 环球巡展 sounds to me like a perfectly normal expression, the characters are slightly stylised but perfectly readable simplified characters, and 环球 and 巡展 can both be found in Pleco.

@Iris Dai, just wanted to compliment you for asking this question. It's good to go looking for advice in cases like this. I hope you like one of the suggestions given here and I hope your exhibition will be a resounding success.

• Like 1