Chinese-Forums

Chinese peoples ability to handle pain during blind massages?

GotJack

I've noticed when i go for a blind massage, that my fellow Chinese customers, are often deep in sleep (even snoring) whereas I have to ask the masseuse to go lighter because its too painful.  Granted it could be that I'm a complete wuss, but in my defence when ive been with friends they also have to ask. Not that deep a topic, its just always struck me how easily they can relax, whilst under so much pressure.

Anyone got any insight into this seeming almost zen like pain management?

It is not just limited to massage. When I was studying TCM in China I was the only one in the acupuncture classes jumping and screaming. There is definitely something going on but it's difficult to say how much of it is related to their genes and how much of it is related to their cultural background. Anyway, good acupuncturists and massage therapists learn how to work with different types of people to minimize the pain and they make sure that the patient is relaxed before applying more pressure. However with stubborn bodies it usually takes more time (and money) to get them to relax which is not something that you would expect from cheap massage shops and their poorly trained practitioners.

• Like 1

I agree with ChenDeCong.

I also think if you do it often, your  muscles would not be as tense or stiff.

During the trip to China were I met my wife's family, we got invited for massages almost every night.

The first couple were painful, but with time became very relaxing, and I ended up dozing off couple of times.

11 hours ago, GotJack said:

Granted it could be that I'm a complete wuss, but in my defence when ive been with friends they also have to ask

You and your friends :lol:

On a more serious note, perception of pain is very much related to  cultural and socioeconomic factors. As a society,  Chinese tolerate pain better but as expectations get higher, this may not be the case overall in the future. Japanese are famously tolerant to pain. Americans are vocal.  Indians are very melodramatic. It's quite surprising to see such variation. 

I get deep muscle work here in Kunming every week or two, either from a skilled and experienced blind masseur 盲人按摩 or from a TCM 中医推拿 practitioner. Have gone to both of them off and on for about 5 years.

I think that the discomfort sometimes perceived during parts of the treatment has two main components, two main contributing factors. One component is the skill of the therapist. For example he or she can do things to reduce discomfort, such as not abruptly attacking a sensitive area with maximum force. Doing that inevitably produces a reflex "flinch" in even the most stoic patient.

Instead, a skilled therapist will begin treating that tender area with somewhat less pressure and gradually build up, thus sort of "easing into" it. Also he or she will first do some stretching and mobilizing moves before beginning deeper "cross-fiber" and "trigger point" 穴位 work. A skilled therapist also will vary whether he applies force over a small area with something hard, such as a knuckle or point of the elbow, or over a larger area with something softer, such as the palm of the hand or middle of the forearm.

The second component in how much the treatment hurts is in the hands of the patient. With practice one can learn how to breathe deeply and actually consciously will a body part or region to relax into the sensation of the treatment. One learns to mentally "rephrase" the sensation as "pressure" or as "stretch" instead of perceiving it as "pain." It's not anything mystical, but it does require some focus and concentration at first.

With time, the old, maladaptive response of tightening up and resisting falls away if you let it. In fact that becomes nearly automatic. One ceases to unconsciously fight. One lets go. It's in that frame of mind that one can drift off to sleep. This relaxation response is aided by an experienced therapist, who will often combine pressing and pulling 推拿 movements with rhythmic rocking of the portion of the body receiving attention at the moment.

Lots of skill is involved in doing this well. I have the greatest respect for practitioners with these talents. And it requires a degree of collaboration between the therapist and the patient.

• Like 3

Had a blind massage this afternoon. Large room with 5 tables side by side; no partitions or curtains. Everybody fully clothed. One female therapist, three male therapists.

Guy on one side of me was snoring. He would wake up every few minutes and ask for it to be harder "重一点" then drift back off to sleep. Guy on the other side was moaning and groaning like he was being killed, "啊呀, 我疼死了。“

I was somewhere between the two extremes. Must confess that some parts of the process hurt, especially places where I was real tight. I kept reminding myself that I will feel better tomorrow. 90 minutes, 90 Yuan.

Good, no-frills Chinese massage is something I really miss when back in the US, though I readily admit it is an acquired taste.

IMG_20170311_153526.thumb.jpg.1dde971e99fc6b85bcef0637a0d5bb6c.jpg

• Like 4