Chinese-Forums

Need Help with my study plan

APPAU

"I believe Petroleum Engineering has a very bright future" 

Facts. As a scientist you should support your claims with facts. 

I can say, I believe this thing has a future. Why? What is the potential and what makes it have a future?

Have you considered related areas? 

I can easily make an argument against what you said, however, since this is something you are passionate about, I will let you rethink it yourself. 

It is well-written, but I can't get over the potential bright future of petroleum. 

Whether we like it or not, many vehicles are already running on petroleum. You might write how there is a need to provide petroleum for vehicles already in use, therefore, there will be demand for petroleum even if many governments, companies, and consumers are investing much more funding in other energy sources. 

Again, consider other research areas, China has scholarships and you can work as an engineer when you graduate. 

Angelina 

• Like 1

Although I am an advocate for environmental protection, modern sciences, electric transportation and such things, I can't deny the fact that mining and drilling are important industries and I don't see them go away anytime soon. Like it or not, 99.9 % of all people rely on those resources in one way or another and the industry changes extremely slowly when there is no pressure by new laws. Even if we could replace all cars on on the planet tomorrow the drilling would not stop.

Also, every non first world country has the right to (and should) develop it's own industries and build research and development branches.

I've never read about mining or petroleum production but it would be interesting from a technical and scientific point of view.

If you're not dead set on studying in China or you are not accepted you may be able to get into other universities.

Eg. my town has a small and old university specialized in mining. It has many international students, Chinese as well :wink:. You'd learn some German and make good use of your English here, instead of learning Chinese. (I don't know about scholarships.)

Or maybe you are looking for English only academic studies.

Update:

Oh, you already have a bachelor's degree. One can currently apply for this industry funded excellence master scholarship.

From a writing point of view: try to avoid generalizations.

If you really want to talk about the future, use something to support what you are saying. 

Just saw this on WeChat now. In Chinese, but the same speech must be available somewhere in the English original. 

Yes, they say AI is the future, but they also support this claim. 

http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/NABHYDxPcVzkVvlPz8W3cg

@Mati1

Imagine he applied to study at that old university and wrote that Petroleum Engineering has a bright future. 

You would not really write about the bright (illustrious) future of Latin, would you? 

Linguistics, for example, has no future, no money there. :) 

Been eyeing that Marine Scholarship. Who knows, with the offshore drilling. 

18 hours ago, APPAU said:

No please, I don't speak Chinese.

Don't you need a certain level of HSK for studying something at a Chinese university that isn't Chinese language itself? Unless the course is taught in English, you'd need to be able to speak Chinese, or am I wrong?

Ok, in this case no problem.

I think your application letter is okay. According to me you can just send it.

About Chinese, I would suggest you to study it. Although  the program is offered in English you'll be living in China, where many people don't speak English and Chinese is essential even for buying something to drink, eat or taking a bus, the subway, taxi... I'm sure you can find valuable resources for learning Chinese in this forum and if you need help in this regard, you can ask by creating another topic if you didn't find what you need through the search function of the website.

Good luck for everything.