Chinese-Forums

Classical Chinese:X者即B 令公之所㔙也

Saciel

Dear community,

I am translating a 12th century stele and have some problem grasping the direction of this sentence:  仰山靈稱寺者即太尉令公所㔙

I

Context: The stele was made in Vietnam as an honor toward general  Lý Thường Kiệt , it's the very first sentence after the Buddhist preface (the stele was also written by a monk). The Vietnamese commentary says the taiwei is Ly Thuong Kiet, but I am not sure as the very next sentence says he was elected when he was twenty to serve the emperor ( 公弱冠。擢入禁闈 內侍    太宗皇).

Mostly I am confused by 㔙, since normally it should say something like "he founded this temple" but I am not sure who or what that "strong, energetic" refers to, and the appearance of "". I translated as following so far: The Lingcheng temple of Yangshan is exactly that place where the Defender-In-Chief ordered the strong (subjects of) his majesty (to be).

Later in this text "" is commonly used as a reference for either "his majesty" the emperor or for "the lord" Ly Thuong Kiet himself.

But I fear I have deeply misunderstood the sentence.

Thank you for your help!

令公 is a title, one word, not "ordered whomever"

http://www.zdic.net/c/4/8/11265.htm

對中書令的尊稱。中唐以後,節度使累加中書令、尚書令,使用漸濫,皆以令公稱之。魏書.卷四十八.高允傳:「高宗重允,常不名之,恒呼為『令公』。」

https://kknews.cc/history/856rrve.html

楊繼業為何被世人成為「令公」,有兩個說法: 其一,令公是古代對中書令、宰相的尊稱,《高允傳》,高允任中書令,「高宗重允,常不名之,恆呼為令公。令公之號,播於四遠矣」。唐朝宰相裴度被稱為「裴令公」,五代史弘肇被稱為「四鎮令公」,符彥卿為「符令公」。而楊繼業死後被追封為太尉,太尉位列三公,後世於是也尊稱他為「楊令公」。

From the context one can sense that In the position of 㔙 there should be a word with the meaning "to build" or "to found". I suspect it's a misreading. And without a photo there is no way to know. Case in point, the next sentence you quoted, I've found a different version that reads "公弱冠之初擢入禁闈。 ", different punctuation, different character, and the same source says "《匯編》誤釋作「禁闥」".

I have a feeling this is going to be a fool's errand.

Yeah, I have found the different version, too. The author as corrected the reading, the one I showed was the one on the stele, but it's not too much different, it basically says that he became a guard of the inner quarters serving the emperor, so far is known. The real problem is   and as you can see, it's written quite clearly, it could also be  (井力)  which would be  a variant of  勤 but the "hard working" isn't helping much or I am missing something :/

Hmm I would read it as 勤. I vaguely remember (井力) was in the short-lived 第二批簡化字方案 (ha, found it here). There also seems to be a dot which is originally in the "well" but is written outside of it to the right.

And I think it makes sense: ~者即~之所勤也 roughly "something is what someone dedicated himself to". 勤 is a verb with many meanings.

• Like 1