Chinese-Forums

Suggested Reading & Vocab Apps

TheWind

I'm looking to improve my vocabulary a bit as well as my comprehension of the language by reading. Unfortunately I can't find what I believe to be suitable apps for Android. 

I just started HSK 4 on the Hello Chinese apps. It's ok for the time being, but I would like to find something better 

As for a reading app -- I'm not currently using one. I've looked in the past but I could never find an appropriate level for me. I'm really not sure what grade level books someone at HSK4 should be able to read (grade 1, 2, 3, etc...)

Per usual, all suggestions & advice is appreciated!  =D

Have you seen the chairman's bao? It has articles classified according to HSK level. Some articles are free but you have to pay for getting all the content.

Same thing for du chinese. Then there is slowchinese (not an app but a website). It's free, it has a transcript and an audio file for every article.

If you want books instead check Mandarin Companion (you may start from level 1 and if you feel it's easy enough pass to level 2).

Also Sinolingua produces graded Chinese readers.

You can have a look by yourself and you can find topics about all of these resources I mentioned on this forum if you use the search function.

A friend suggested that to me today, but I have no VPN (currently in China) and I'm not exactly sure how to find the app. Do you know if it's only on the Google play store? I wasn't able to find it using the Huawei app market. =( 

Can you open this link with your phone and see if you are redirected to the app in your Google play store? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.sinamon.duchinese . You can also try to change the country associated to the play store if you change your address and add a foreign credit card to Google Wallet. https://www.gammerson.com/2016/12/change-country-region-google-play-store.html . Else if your phone is rooted you can try some apps like this one for changing region: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tw.TigerHuang.RegionChanger .

Wait, you only have the Huawei app market but not the Google Play Store on your phone?

I have google play store, I can use it in America. I've never really used VPN's in China. I tried a couple of free ones but they were kinda twitch and didn't work for too long. I couldn't use the Google play store with them.

well obviously also the websites of the vpn providers are blocked in China but there are ways around it. I'd suggest getting a paid vpn. Often they even offer subscriptions that allow you to cancel within a certain amount of days and get the money back. That would be good if you need it only for a few days, even a day only for doing something. First make sure if you really need one. Then if nothing works, there's also a way to install apps without using the play store if you can find the apk file online (beware that some contain viruses, not always though).