Chinese-Forums

I can't write anything, please see attachment and help

Saciel

Hmm (procrastinating the urgent work I'm supposed to do) I can make the editor box appear by inspecting/examining the element (firefox right button menu) and removing the class 'ipsHide) and style (visibility: hidden) for the textarea in mainEditorArea.

But for some reason my carriage returns disappear? lalala

@Roddy: sorry about the delay - I had a busy week. Which reminds me that I need to check the thing with the post office. Ah well.

I tried Linux, I tried Windows, I tried Firefox, I tried IE, I tried with ADSL at home and on a hotel network.

I even created a blank Firefox profile but not luck.

Should I just create a new account and be known as edelweis the second? (or maybe even edelweiss, let's be fanciful).

(Modern website design is quite outside of my expertise. Although typing the lesser than-p-greater than sequence to attempt to insert carriage returns in this post reminds me of my youthful attempts at creating web pages a very long time ago.)

Could it be something related to language settings of the browser/os?

It seems all the people with problems are not native English speakers, and it would explain why it works fine for Roddy when impersonating edelweis, but not for edelweis regardless of browser/os. 

Alas my new profile has the same issue. There must be a curse on this computer.

(maybe it's a sign that I should be spending my time on the many urgent things I have on my plate right now... I tend to get superstitious when I encounter obstacles trying to do something I'm not supposed to be doing - like when the chocolate bar gets stuck in the vending machine.)

By the way, CF is also not accessible anymore from my obsolete Gingerbread phone since the switch to https. It says there's a connectivity issue...

Can someone who's suffering from this *PLEASE* drop me an email at admin@chinese-forums.com so I can try some quick things - we'll need to both be at our computers at the same time but it won't take long. Edelweis, I emailed you but didn't hear back.

I have heard from one user who says the problem's resolved overnight. There was a minor upgrade which might have fixed it, or it could have been something entirely different. If I can run through some basic checks with someone I can confirm it's a software issue rather than something at my end, and then I can file a support ticket. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29-3-2017 at 11:12 AM, roddy said:

I wish this was happening to me so I could fix it better...

I just love how compassionate this statement is. Applied by the right people in the right places, we'd have world peace. (I am only a little joking and mostly serious.)

After moving across the country and getting a new internet connection in my new home, I connected to the forum yesterday.

Loading pages was very slow on CF (but not on other websites).

And the edit box still didn't show.

Today, same OS, same browser, same CF session (I didn't log out yesterday), loading CF pages is very fast and the edit box is functional.

:-? The CF edit box mystery.

It's been, no exaggeration, the most confusing technical problem I've seen in over a decade of running this site, and that goes back to the days when UTF-8 was considered a brave new idea. It does seem to be something the CDN is doing, so I've turned that off for now. That'll mean a slower pageload in general, but at the moment it's one or the other...

Sorry to everyone who's been frustrated by this.