Chinese-Forums

Resources to learn Chinese from nothing

36 minutes ago, Flickserve said:

The tutor I found for these lessons came from italki.com but it did take me some time to find one that I was comfortable with. 

BTW it would be nice to have a thread here on chinese-forums with recommendations or at least opinions on iTalki tutors/teachers/language exchange partners. iTalki has a ratings system of course, but I consider that one of higher noise to information ratio. Little actual information on their style etc, too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flickserve said:

For such a high aim,  I think the OP will definitely have to consider spending a little money before going to China. 

What else is money good for, if not for saving some (often crucial) time.

• Like 1

For pronunciation, I looked for those who had broadcasting experience or PSC.

I noticed professional teachers like their students to read out loud. Actually I am quite bad at that because unfamiliar words I invariably get wrong. The input goes through too many paths. 

I am far better pronouncing when following somebody's speech. Unfortunately, I have a memory like a sieve hence the recording of lessons. I end up mostly using community tutors. 

Language exchange partners are not suitable. I won't discount them but not great in my experience. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Flickserve said:

Unfortunately, I have a memory like a sieve hence the recording of lessons.

Ah I never thought about recording them for some reason. Good advice.

Also, what's PSC in this context? Google https://www.google.com.au/search?q=psc china says this is their Politburo :D

16 hours ago, 大块头 said:

Does this new forum software have the functionality to create a community wiki?

No, and I'd be wary of doing so, certainly without some kind of barrier to editorship. There are a lot of people out there with entirely generic websites that they want to promote and we'd find ourselves deleting unnecessary resources more than adding necessary ones. It is possible to think up some kind of workaround - I could have a subforum where half a dozen members are mods, so they can edit all the posts, or a group blog might work. But something like this needs active curatorship - you can't just chuck up a set of links and hope it stays up to date and valuable. You also need people willing to make judgement calls and annoy people who disagree. 

There is, in the next major upgrade, a new 'clubs' feature. I'm not exactly sure how it works but that might facilitate a small group of people getting together to work on projects like this.

16 hours ago, 大块头 said:

this is the first time I've heard of that thread

I agree it could be more prominent, but it's pinned at the top of the relevant forum and gets periodic bumps. If someone wants to put together a list of our top ten essential articles or something, I can happily add it to the menu. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, roddy said:

There is, in the next major upgrade, a new 'clubs' feature.

Groan... I hope the next "upgrade" is deferred until after my old bones are buried six feet in the ground. Not sure I can handle another Chinese Forums "Great Leap Forward."

• Like 1

TheChairmansBaoTeam

Dear werewitt,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry for the confusion here. All of our free articles automatically appear at the top of the news feed and are listed as samples. These rotate on a weekly basis and there are 7 at any one time. All other site features are also available such as Word Bank, Flashcards, Audios, Live Dict, Bookmarking etc. By becoming premium, you will unlock the extra 1600 news-based lessons we produce every year. 

I hope this helps,
Team TCB
  • Like 1