Chinese-Forums

Fred0

The usage of the word "弄" is puzzling to me. It is defined in MDBG as: to do / to manage / to handle / to play with / to fool with / to mess with / to fix / to toy with.  

In the example I am looking at a little girl comes home from playing outside all wet, and her mother scolds her: 看这么一身水!

Later the little girl fearing also her father's anger thinks:  我了一身水,怕爸爸要打骂我,...

In each case 弄 appears to mean "manage to"    "Look, you managed to get all wet"      "I managed to get all wet, (so) fear father will scold me."  But really 弄 in these examples doesn't easily correlate with any English word. Can someone give me some insight on the useage and meaning of this word. Thank you.

My feeling (that is I can't give you any definite answer) is that 弄 a very casual/informal word for doing something, often involving playing with something, messing something up, or tidying something up. It's often interchangeable with 搞 做 干 and 办. It doesn't seem there are any dictionaries that are able to accurately define the usage limits of these words. It's basically a matter of learning what is and what is not idiomatic for native speakers.

• Like 2

Dictionaries give the most close meqnings thay can. Some words have identical meaning in english and chinese, some only a close meaning, and some do not have an analogue. It is often impossible to make one fixed translation for a word without a context.  is one of those words, quite often it doesn't need to be translated. And, yes, it's rather colloquial.

了一身水 - I got all wet

弄点儿水喝 -  find or get some water to drink

把钱袋弄丢了 -  lost the purse

没弄明白 - didn't understand

• Like 1