Chinese-Forums

气得打

Kangbachen

• New Members

If I get this right "他气得打了我一拳" means "He was so angry he hit me with his fist." 

However, I don’t understand the 气得打 part. Is 得 de or dei?

If it’s "de", how does it function... it seems different than the following constructs: 他说得很好 or 他看得到。

说得很好 = verb + de + state of how the verb was performed

看得到 = resultative verb separated by 得 which adds ability to the verb.. able to see.

气得打 seems inverted.

(生)气 = state, but it can also function as a verb (to get angry).. however after 得 is also a verb 打... so that is confusing me. 

Can someone explain it to me? I searched the chinese grammar wiki, but didn’t find anything in relation to SV/V + 得  + V.

8 hours ago, Kangbachen said:

If I get this right "他气得打了我一拳" means "He was so angry he hit me with his fist." 

I don't think that's right. It's more that he was so angry that he could have hit you with his fist. He was angry enough to have hit you (but he probably didn't.)

I'm not good at explaining grammar, but Chinese has lots of such phrases that include an element of exaggeration for dramatic effect. They are part of the spoken language. Not all of them sound good in English.

Consider:

我累死了= I'm tired enough to die

她怕死了= She was dying of fright or she was scared enough to die

1 hour ago, abcdefg said:

It's more that he was so angry that he could have hit you with his fist. He was angry enough to have hit you (but he probably didn't.)

I'm afraid in the case of "他气得打了我一拳" the punch is real. He did hit me.

The link given by dwq is a good one.

As is pointed out in that link, the state complement is often lumped together with complement of degree in textbooks, and I think that's okay as long as you understand that the complement can be a complex phrase. For example, a coordinative phrase:

她高興得又唱又跳

A subject-predicate phrase:

我笑得肚子都疼了

A verb-object phrase:

他凍得打冷戰

A verb-complement phrase:

他高興得跳起來了

A endocentric phrase:

他們討論得很熱烈。(adverb-adjective)

(All examples taken from 《外國人實用漢語語法》第三章 詞組)

• Like 3