Chinese-Forums

彼且惡依待哉?

mauxdivers

• New Members

Dear All, 

So I seem to have a problem with rhetorical questions in ancient Chinese. Now I am wondering about this passage from Zhuangzi 1:7: 彼且惡依待哉?

Is there anyone who can unpack it grammatically me for me? 彼 means 'that one', so in this context 'he'. I guess 且 means 'even' or perhaps 'still. Then follows 惡依待哉, which according to the commentary means 有什麼依待的. So I take it that 惡 must in this context be something like a question word. Am I right? 

《漢語大辭典》:

III

1.疑問代詞。相當於“何”、“安”、“怎麼”。
《左傳‧桓公十六年》:“棄父之命,惡用子矣?”杜預注:“惡,安也。”
《史記‧滑稽列傳》:“先生飲一斗而醉,惡能飲一石哉?”

唐張九齡《大唐金紫光祿大夫忠憲公裴公碑銘》:“物惡有滿而不溢、高而不危者哉?”

宋趙與時《賓退錄》卷二:“唐虞事業誰能繼,湯武功夫世莫傳,時既不同人又易,仲尼惡得不潸然!”

明方孝孺《鄭君妻洪氏墓銘》:“君泣曰:吾先妻洪媛之塚也,吾惡能無悲乎?”

田北湖《與某生論韓文書》:“譾陋如僕,惡足知文?”

乎  

7.緩和語氣或表示語氣的停頓。
《論語‧子路》:“子曰:‘苟正其身矣,於從政乎何有?不能正其身,如正人何?’”

漢東方朔《七諫‧哀命》:“從水蛟而為徒兮,與神龍乎休息。”
宋蘇軾《前赤壁賦》:“知不可乎驟得,託遺響於悲風。”

This 乎 has no meaning. It's just there for a better rhythm.

P.S. I don't know where the 依 in your text came from. All the versions I've seen read 彼且惡乎待哉. Perhaps the author of your textbook wanted to make it easier for learners (to forestall a question like yours, for example)?

• New Members

Thank you so much, this is so helpful.

I will continue posting my Zhuangzi questions in this thread so as not to bombard this forum with new threads. Now I wonder about the grammar of this sentence: 其发若机栝,其司是非之谓也. I have a little problem with the grammar of the second clause here. 

其发若机栝: No problem, I understand. 

其司是非之谓也: This is how one calls their managing of right and wrong? 

So: They release [sc. words] like arrows, that is how now calls their managing of right and wrong? 

PS. I I erroneously added the yi myself, so the author of the textbook is not be blamed. 

其 I think means fear (小恐惴惴,大恐縵縵).

[其司是非]之謂也 => 也就是說,是非皆由恐懼而生 => that is to say, fear is the origin of (dispute over) right or wrong.

司 = 主宰

or 司 = 伺 = 窺伺

Pre-Qin philosophy isn't my favorite subject. Different interpretations abound.

Here are some reference links you may find useful:

https://books.google.com/books?id=2GWfCgAAQBAJ&pg=PT318&lpg=PT318&dq=其司是非之谓也&source=bl&ots=PZAtel0GRd&sig=U8Qjgu5YvpkmVYK75xvqyKju30c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFl9WV6pvTAhUIeCYKHR5RAa0Q6AEILDAC#v=onepage&q=其司是非之谓也&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=qb7rCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA122&lpg=PA122&dq=其司是非之谓也&source=bl&ots=87Zd-S85v4&sig=gPHHflW9C1aHucUz2u0k5WfYE34&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiFl9WV6pvTAhUIeCYKHR5RAa0Q6AEIPjAF#v=onepage&q=其司是非之谓也&f=false

http://www.my285.com/gdwx/bj/zz2/02.htm