Chinese-Forums

Work Contract Length - Is 1 Year Normal?

BawaBoy

Hello again,

I'm just negotiating a contract with a company in Beijing.  I'm outside of China at the moment, and the company will pay for my airfare and health insurance, plus a monthly allowance with my salary.  The pay and conditions seem quite good.

The only thing is that the contract they sent me is only for a year.  Is that normal?  I'm assuming it would be easy to renew before the end of the first year, but I don't want to be in limbo after that.  Should I ask them to extend the contract to two or even three years before I sign my life away?  What are the downsides to accepting a one year contract?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, as always!

BB

Don't forget that a one-year contract will also allow you to see how you like the job and your living conditions. Personally, I would be reluctant to promise to live anywhere or do anything for three years sight unseen. That would take a huge amount of faith.

I agree with abcdefg, one year could seem like an eternity if you end up not liking the job. Accommodation, workmates, weather or a multitude of other things could make it a struggle to carry on with the job.

After a year and you have no problems then sign up for longer.

Although multiple year visas are now available, they don't seem to be that frequent in my field of work even when the standard is a two year contract. I could see a company limiting an initial contract to a year because they can only get you a one year visa to start. 

What field do you work in?