Chinese-Forums

Pleco Vocab - Profiles

Bennibaba

• New Members

Hello everybody,

I hope it's ok to ask this question.

I recently bought the Pleco App, because I liked the the flashcard feature. But all the different options are a little overhelming. Therefore I wanted to ask you, what do you think are the best Profile settings. At the moment I have one Profil for new cards (just review, no score) as well as the standard profiles (for repetition).

Are there any adjustments you would recommend?

Thank you very much for the help

best regards

Hello and welcome to the forum. Have you read the help files? I ask this because if you understand what the options are then you can make better decisions as to how you want to set up your flash cards.

As a complete beginner I would suggest just using the default settings. As you become more familiar with Pleco you will start to change things that are useful for you.

One thing I do that might be useful if you are studying using a textbook is to create a new group/category for each lesson. This way your list never gets overwhelming and you can study each lesson as you go along with the textbook. You can of course go back and study/review any of the lessons at any time.

I find this works for me.

I did a review for LTL (Living the Language) here http://www.livethelanguage.cn/pleco-review/

It might be useful for you.

• Like 1

I have one profile for new cards that I use for learning that just has a front side showing everything, and only shows cards once.

I use this to go over new words thoroughly the first time they have been added.

Then I have two other profiles:

1) Chinese word on the front, and the Chinese word, Pinyin and Chinese meaning on the back.

2) Pinyin on the front, and the characters, pinyin and Chinese meaning on the back.

I use the first one mostly to test pronunciation and meaning, and the second one mostly to test that I can produce the characters from memory.

I use separate scorefiles for each profile, so the results of one don't affect the results of the other.

If you're going to use something like this, it's also a good idea to try and only add multi-character words rather than single character words.  When I come across a single character that I'd like to add, I try to find a multi-character word that conveys the same meaning as the single character version.  The reason for this is that there are too many homophones in Chinese and if you use single characters then you'll have lots of conflicts when testing Pinyin only on the front of the card.  Using multi-character words reduces those conflicts to basically zero.

• Like 1