Chinese-Forums

How hard would you rate this sports video?

Flickserve

It's spontaneous speech, so it's full of features not found in scripted speech, features such as

反手握拍是大…(false start),哦(filled pause),一般人都知道了呵,反手握拍(repetition)。(sentence fragment)

可是它到完成動作的時候呢,拍面要有一個下壓(non-standard grammar)。就是(filler phrase),放(false start)、很放鬆。(non-standard grammar)

不能這樣握完拍子,打完球,(change of structure mid-sentence)如果還是這樣握的拍子的話,這個動作就不對了。

His accent is not standard (sh->s, ch->c, zh->z, r->y/l) but that should not be a big problem.

I think the key is to focus on what he's trying to say without being distracted by what he actually says. A English learner, when reading a CNN interview transcript, may feel totally clueless. But it's much easier to follow if he's watching the interview.

• Like 3

I think that as far as continuous native speech goes, it's quite easy, especially if you are watching the video at the same time.

It's definitely easier than watching the news which is usually spoken very fast and talks about a new topic every few minutes, and it's easier than watching a TV drama due to having lots of repetition and demonstration of actions.

The difficulty comes from a non-standard accent (but isn't a problem once you're used to it) and also the technical terms - which aren't so much of a problem given that he's often demonstrating something that makes them clear.

I imagine it would be quite difficult though for people whose only listening practice has come from textbook dialogs with very clear recordings.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, imron said:

The difficulty comes from a non-standard accent (but isn't a problem once you're used to it) and also the technical terms - which aren't so much of a problem given that he's often demonstrating something that makes them clear.

I was a little surprised to understand the majority of the dialogue even though some words are not in my vocabulary.

The non-standard accent was ok for me having been exposed to that quite a lot.

TV dramas are still way out of my league.