Chinese-Forums

urgent visa help - authentication of diploma for work permit in China

tooironic

1 hour ago, tooironic said:

and you can choose between a standard federal police check and one that includes finger prints, the latter being much more expensive

Are you sure you can choose?  From memory, it was automatically determined by the reason you are getting the police check, and overseas employment doesn't count.

Not sure if 'Yep' is answering whether or not you can choose or whether or not it is automatically determined, but the link you provided seems to confirm the latter:

Fingerprint checks may only be conducted where there is a legal or regulatory requirement for such a check to be conducted

Is there a legal or regulatory requirement for fingerprint checks in the background check you need to get a work visa?  If not, no fingerprints for you.

Hi , 

I get an offer from the University of Shenyang (salary about 90000 rmb in year) and they will pay also the apartment cost.

But, my problem is that the University want that I sent by post:

1.     Original certification of degree of doctor;

2.     Original passport;

They want the original passeport to prepare the work permit and after 2 months they will send me my documents with the invitation and the work permit.

I replay that I can only sent a copy from my passeport so they say that it is fine to send a copy of the first two pages of my passport( the ones with your information) with the stamp of Chinese embassy in my country.

Besides, please make a statement to say why you can not send the original passport. I should get this statement stamped by Chinese embassy as well.

• 1 month later...

Hi @tooinronic

I am going through a similar process at the moment, I'm in China, trying to get my documents authenticated / notorised in Australia. Did you end up sending your passport? Who did you use? I'm really worried about sending my passport in the mail!

Thanks!

Annalise

@Annalise You can get your degree authenticated in China at the consulate/embassy depending on the university you graduated from.

There's a list here of ones which can be authenticated http://smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents/Pages/overseas.aspx and the ones not there can possibly be done if you can find a verification path for the embassy.

As for your police check, you can have a National Police Check done online and sent to a relative who can EMS it to you in China. You can then get it authenticated with your degree at the same time, or you could get your relative to authenticate it for you in Australia.

Make sure you send scans of both documents (separately is ok) to the embassy you choose in advance so they can verify each before you book your appointment and head over. It can take them some time to verify your degree depending on your university.

Which university did you study in?

@MangoESL I graduated from university of Queensland.

I have already gotten my degree and police check notorised and authenticated by Australian DFAT, it's just the final stage of getting the Chinese consulate to authorise it. 

"3) Apply for the documents authentication from the Chinese Embassy or relevant Consulate General where the documents notarized but not authenticated, in accordance with consular regions."

Do you know what embassy I go to? Is there a Chinese embassy in Shanghai?

Thanks for your help!

Annalise

@Annalise You'd have to have it authenticated at the Chinese Embassy/Consulate in Australia, or the Australian consulate in Shanghai.

There is no Chinese embassy/consulate in China. An embassy/consulate is a representative government office in a foreign country.

What is needed is Authentication with a stamp that is recognized in China. Any Chinese embassy/consulate stamp will be recognized. Any stamp from a consulate/embassy in China will be recognized.

If your documents are still in Australia you can get them Authenticated at any Chinese embassy/consulate there.

You would probably be best sending them photos of the documents first to ensure they can Authenticate them, or give them a phone call:

Level 22 CITIC Square
1168 Nanjing Road West, 200041
Tel: +86 21 2215 5200
Email: consular.shanghai@dfat.gov.au

If you're documents are already in China and you've had them authenticated by DFAT Australia you should be able to get them authenticated there (again?) in Shanghai:

Consulate Information

http://shanghai.china.embassy.gov.au/shai/NotarialServices.html

Brief introduction here:

http://smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents/Pages/default.aspx

Authentication information here:

http://smartraveller.gov.au/services/legalising-documents/pages/overseas.aspx

Bookings made here:

https://acgsh.setmore.com/

I hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Annalise and @tooironic I am currently in the exact same position. I am getting my police check and documents authorised at DFAT in Sydney tomorrow by my friend. And I have a friend who can go to the Chinese consulate in Sydney for me, but I am in china with my passport.

@tooironic did you have any issues sending your passport and who did you use?

@Annalise did you end up sending your passport? Who with? 

Thanks for for any help you can give me!

@markg I did not need to send my passport. My mum took my DFAT stamped forms, the Chinese Application application form, with HER passport, a colour copy of her passport, a colour copy of my passport, and a written statement that gave her permission to apply on my behalf (I wrote it here, signed it and scanned it in and emailed it to her).

That seemed to be enough for the Chinese consulate to process.

I would recommend just sending you friend into the consulate armed with all the attached documents, and it should be fine. They seemed happy enough to process it without my passport, and did not even ASK for my passport.

I've just found out that I need to go home to Australia to apply for the Z visa. Does anyone know if that is true? Can I apply in another country like Hong Kong or Taiwan? 

@tooironic what did you do?

Thanks!

@Annalise thanks for that. After many hours on phones and emails, I found out today from the consulate in Sydney that I didn't to send my passport back, so that was good news. I hadn't thought about a written letter for the person submitting on my behalf tomorrow, so thanks for that, I just wrote one up.

I'm also told I need to go back to Sydney to apply for the visa if the work permit is approved. If I hear otherwise I will let you know.

@Annalise I've just found out that I need to go home to Australia to apply for the Z visa. Does anyone know if that is true? Can I apply in another country like Hong Kong or Taiwan?

What visa are you on now? What's your situation. If you're currently on a work resident permit you shouldn't need to leave China.

It has been possible to get a Z Visa in Hong Kong if your government issued invitation letter specifically tells you to apply in Hong Kong, though it's been getting harder to go this route.

@Annalise I'm not too familiar with out of mainland applications, but I just did some checking and a little good news!

When applying through the FWP system for an invitation letter (I think) "境外申请外国人来华工作许可通知 ", I found a place to select where you want to apply for your visa!

This leads me to believe it's not as hard as I previously would have thought, assuming there's nothing I'm unaware of. We can't be 100% sure until someone tries though.

It's in Part 2 (申请信息) of the application.

VisaInHongKong.png

@MangoESL Thanks for the update! That is very helpful. I'm gonna pass it onto the visa agency and try to push them for a Hong Kong entry.

I'll let you know how I get on. If anyone has any experience applying for a Chinese Z visa outside their home country, that would be very helpful!

Thanks

Annalise

@Annalise A visa agency? This form is something that the school would usually fill out. A school registers an account on the FWP system with their business license, then they apply for teachers through that system. I'm not sure in what way you're using a visa agent, but be careful and get the information to the school very clearly. Also note that the FWP is handled by a separate office to the visa office.

@MangoESL I am not working in a school, I am going to be working for a PR firm, so they have a Visa Agency that is organising their business invitation to them. I don't think the company has ever filled one of these forms out before, hence why they are using a visa agency.

Also what is FWP?

@AnnaliseThe FWP is the "Foreigner's Work Permit", without that you can't work in China. School or not, the process is the same and quite simple as long as you have the documentation prepared. The FWP is replacing the old "Alien Employment Permit" and "Foreign Experts Certificate".

It's all pretty simple really, I did the whole process of getting my FWP myself. The invitation seems to be pretty much the same with a few small variances. Make sure your invitation is for the company you'll actually be working for. (I don't trust agents too much)