Learn Chinese in China
werewitt

A copyright question (Spoonfed Chinese Anki deck)

5 posts in this topic

I've just discovered that part of "SpoonFedChinese" Anki deck (not all of it though) is http://www.zhongwenred.com/ (search some sentences on google with adding zhongwenred to the search), nicely cut into pieces and somewhat rearranged. Are there any copyright issues with it if the guy is selling the deck? https://sellfy.com/p/js46/ 

Am genuinely interested where "fair use" stops in case of selling study materials based on others' work. :mrgreen:

(Given "No results found for Mark Neumann "zhongwenred.com"" I would assume that site is not his creation.) 

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

As far as I can tell (I haven't used deck, but I have seen it's preview) the bulk of it is copyrighted material from a website that was closed down a long time ago called smartfm or iknow(?) and another set of decks called "mastering chinese". All have been removed from ankiweb for copyright reasons. So it looks like this person is reselling a deck made up of material from multiple other copyright holders.

nb. the deck probably also has zhongwen green and blue. I'm not sure about the copyright status of those webpages.

2 hours ago, stapler said:

I'm not sure about the copyright status of those webpages.

Any original work is copyrighted even if copyright has not been applied for, unless copyright is specifically waived somehow.

The question still stands - what's the legal/copyright status there? Does something like "fair use" apply or he's totally robbing whoever originally created that content?

It's unlikely to fall under fair use. So either he has an agreement with the original copyright holders or he is infringing copyright. 

1 person likes this

I have many of the old Ankiweb decks, and have shared with many people, didn't think twice. I thought I remembered that SmartFM went Creative Commons, but I searched it and there is some debate about that. What does this mean for person-to-person sharing?