Chinese-Forums

Yunnan potato pancake 云南洋芋丝干

abcdefg

That sounds like an amazing place. What happened the first time you went?

Fortunately, the fist few times at places like this were with local friends, so they guided me. Lots of small family-style restaurants here follow that model. One orders while just looking over today's fresh items, meat as well as vegetables. One thing I like is that it's possible to talk back and forth with the waitress or boss to get suggestions on how to use these ingredients to best advantage. 

"I'd like some of those nice looking green peas today."

"Sure, how about stir-frying them together with some kernels of fresh corn? We usually add a little chopped spring onion, is that OK for you?"

And if you frequent the same small place, they get to know your preferences.

"Last time you had the mint-fried thin-sliced beef. Today perhaps you would like to try the same thing except with lamb."

"Sure, sounds good. How much does it cost?"

And so on. I really like being able to see the food they are going to cook. Gives me the illusion at least that I am eating well.

"I was going to have spinach, but I don't see any."

"Yes, it didn't look good this morning and was also a bit overpriced. Why don't you try some of this 小苦菜 instead? It has lots of flavor."

"OK, but how do you recommend making it?"

"Well, we usually just boil it and serve it in a clear broth."

Every meal is an adventure, and you don't get into a rut.

• Like 2

Nice post, abcd! Nice to see you're still writing such beautiful recipes. 

Have actually had many discussions about potato pancakes as I have classmates from Poland and Germany who swear the Chinese stole it from them (although I, like a previous poster, grew up with it being called "rosti"!). Interesting how similar dishes can be from such far flung places.

I messed up when buying a wok and have not fallen in love with it yet, sadly. Next time.