Chinese-Forums

Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU)上海交通大学 CSC and Other Scholarship Applications

MaLei

@eshton I found these vpn's:

Free ones:

https://shadowsocks.org/en/index.html

https://pandapow.co/

Paid ones:

https://www.expressvpn.com/

https://www.astrill.com/

Or if you can tell us which vpn do you use?

But I was thinking if you can use Tor network in china and from what i read online there is a way. 

I also thought that the university will offer us a version that either has a built in vpn or straight up doesn't block the internet.

Express and Astrill are well known and used by companies here. Tor works but it's not really a vpn and it can be detected pretty easily in china, it gets throttled often.

I personally use psiphon, it works on windows and android.

You need to understand how the blocking works. It's not the university that blocks anything it's the great firewall (google it).

• Like 1

Because it is blocked by the government I asked this. The uni can either have a vpn set for the international students or offer directly unrestricted access based on an agreement with the government. I only asked because I heard somewhere that the uni's can offer something like this.

That sounds sketchy. I've never heard of a university offering vpns, technically circumventing the firewall is illegal. Idk if any uni lawyer is going to want to argue that.

That would be great if they did offer some type of vpn but I'm not holding my breath on it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi SJTU'ers! For 3 days straight, I have been calling the International Students Center but no nobody answers my call. I then searched for other numbers(below) and called, NO RESPONSE!

International Students Center:+86-21-54743244

International Affairs Office:+86-21-3420-8238

Graduate Admission: +86-21-3420-7040

School of Media & Design (my department) +86-21-3420-5809 

This is very weird. So I had to send them an email which usually takes about 3 days or more to get response. 

Now I have to send another email because the reply I received wasn't on point, this means another 3 or more days waiting time. I think calling will be the best option,but like I said,  NO RESPONSE!

I need your advice guys!

REASON FOR CALLING: I need an extension letter to apply for visa since I have to send documents to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in my country for attestation, and that takes a bit long. This means I will not make it on 9th Sept for registration but rather 22nd Sept.

• 5 months later...

Hi, Guys good afternoon!

I am going to apply at SJTU this year in Shanghai Government Scholarship for PhD program and I would like to get clear guidelines if anyone have gone through. I'm also an existing student in China and will graduate before September. I'm ineligible for CSC according to their scholarship guidelines. I would like to know if any previous successful SGS candidates have got their scholarship and how they did it? And, What documents they submitted? 

Thank you. 

• 2 months later...

@OBY

a simple answer is No!

you need even more than 1000 RMB at least for your dormitory. so you can't survive with 700 RMB!

a regular meal in university canteens is around 12 RMB (from 6 to 20RMB) so with a basic calculation, even if you don't eat anything more than university food, you need around 720 RMB for only your food. Besides, you need to take some fruits, milk and etc.

As a general rule, you need at least 1500 RMB in one month other than your dormitory fee to survive.

• Helpful 1

Lol @hamedvafaei

Anyways I applied for the university scholarship type B there for master's and I just wanted to know more about the living cost.

I actually wanted to apply for the Shanghai government scholarship but I misread their information on their scholarship page. Wasn't too clear.

I guess I can cope with this so I hope I get it.

Thanks for your help. :wink:

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi guys,

How are the single rooms in building 12 at Minhang campus.  Anyone kind enough to share some pics? I came across a few pics of the double rooms but none of the single rooms. 

Please help. 

TIA

My friend is living in a room like that. I don't have any pictures, but it's about half the size of the double, has a bed, closet, night stand, cupboard, shelf and desk, just like double, but doesn't have a balcony.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hi guys!

I have a question: I have applied for CSC scholarship (through my embassy) for a year of Chinese Language at SJTU. I got an email to apply on their website as well, where it now says I have been admitted. Does that mean that in case I don't get the scholarship, Ill be still admitted to SJTU as a self-paying student? I have tried applying for the same program as a self-paying student (just in case), but the system doesn't let you apply for the same program twice. ? 

Also, since their website says they do not provide dorms for language students, what happens with CSC scholarship students for language studies? Has anybody been in a situation like this?

Thanks ?

@ShanghaiYi I asked SJTU similar question about CSC scholarship, but I applied the scholarship though SJTU. They told me that if I applied CSC scholarship through SJTU and failed to get it, SJTU would automatically consider me as an applicant for Type B, C and D scholarship. However, you apply through embassy, I am not sure if this rule also apply to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Can scholarship students delay accommodation payment until receiving accommodation subsidies?

I read posts from last year, SJTU allowed scholarship students to do it. Not sure about this year. I sent email to them but I have not heard anything back yet.

• New Members
On 7/6/2018 at 9:54 AM, squailee said:

Can scholarship students delay accommodation payment until receiving accommodation subsidies?

I read posts from last year, SJTU allowed scholarship students to do it. Not sure about this year. I sent email to them but I have not heard anything back yet.

Just received a reply from ISSC and they said this:

Hello,

According to 2018 SJTU New International Student Guide, scholarship students should pay on-campus accommodation fee by themselves according to the selected room type. Any expired order (over 12 hours) will be cancelled by the system automatically. And the students with scholarship covering accommodation subsidy will receive the accommodation subsidy from SJTU. You can refer to 2018 SJTU New International Student Guide, page 07 for detail.

As for freshmen, if you have financial problems, please reserve the room first, and then send email to us ASAP to apply for payment delay until you get your scholarship. The order will only valid for 12 hours. Please contact us in time, if you need payment delay. 

The email should be titled "Payment delay+student id number+order number". You will receive a confirmation reply when the payment delayed.

Sincerely,
ISSC, SJTU

______

So does that means that you can delay the payment but is not recommended/advisable?