Chinese-Forums

没尽没了

Fred0

马车所经过的路,我全不认识。这条大街长又长,好像前面没尽没了

I don't understand the meaning of 没尽没了。 I take 没尽 to mean inexhaustible, and 没了 to me dead or "not to exist." But what do they mean together.

Thanks.

This '了' is not le, but liǎo, it means 'end; finish'.

See also 没完没了 - endlessly; without end.

Incidentally, it seems you are reading a novel, and encountering various different new words and usage patterns.  Rather than starting a whole bunch of separate threads for each item, it might be better to start a single thread about the book(this would be the place to do it).

The benefit of doing this is that other people reading the book will have a single place of reference for vocab they might encounter while reading.

• Like 4

"没尽没了"  means a road seems to have no end and keeps extending . It can only be used to describe a road/track/alley/pathway/trail and can't be used to describe other things or people or objects .

This phrase would be weird if used in daily life , it  only appears in early modern literary works . It is weird in both oral Chinese and literary works , you can regard this expression as obsolete .

To describe an endless road you can use "没有尽头" ,"没有尽头" can not only to describe a road , but also in stuffs .

e.g.这条乡间小路蜿蜒曲折,似乎没有尽头。e.g. 身为一名科学家,我深知对于浩瀚宇宙的探索是没有尽头的。

To describe something/someone keeps bothering you , you can use "没完没了"(never finish never end)  and it's not proper in describing a road .

e.g.我不搭理你,你还没完没了了? e.g.政府机关办事效率太低,总是要开各种没完没了的证明文件。

If you want to learn Chinese ,reading such books like My Memories of Old Beijing of Lin Hai yin wouldn't help a lot , the expressions of those early modern authors are kind of weird and we barely use those expressions nowadays , you should watch some news or read some magazines , they  have normal common expressions of Chinese  .