Chinese-Forums

Laser hair removal in Xi'an

Gary123

889, have you tried it? I don't believe there is a method of ripping out hair by the roots that isn't to some degree painful. I can fully believe threading is effective and fast, but painless, no.

OP, I don't have any leads I'm afraid. Generally, Chinese people have less body hair than white people (with plenty of exceptions on both sides of course), so it's possible that there is just not that much out there outside of the big cities. Have you googled and baidu'ed yet?

• Like 1

• New Members

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have tried google, but I can't find anything. Outside of Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and Hong Kong finding local businesses on google seems almost impossible. My Chinese is no where near Baidu level unfortunately :(

Perhaps you are right, it might be easier just to wait till I have some time off and head to Beijing. I just figured since cosmetic surgery is such a big thing in China, they might have places like this in the capital cities. Xi'an is the closest to me.

My work recently changed from a long sleeve uniform to a short sleeve one, and all the staff are freaked out by my hairy arms. To the point where I'm being treated differently because of it, hence looking for the laser place.

They'd probably run in terror if they saw me wearing shorts haha

No, Lu, I believe the hirsute look is best for China. If they're going to regard you as a barbarian you may as well look like one.

But the guy in that video seems to be taking it all in stride. And a generation that's taken to tatoos shouldn't balk at a few plucked hairs.

3 hours ago, 889 said:

But the guy in that video seems to be taking it all in stride.

Sure, if you've done it a few times it becomes easier to take it in stride, but that doesn't make it painless. I'll believe you once you've tried it yourself.

Gary, sorry to hear that. I'd recommend waxing (脫毛), but that might also be difficult to find in Xi'an. It is quite a bit cheaper though, and not permanent. Perhaps you never really cared for your arm hair in the first place, but if you generally don't mind it, permanent removal by laser treatment might be a bit radical. Threading should work too, if you find a place that does it. It will hurt though, no matter what 889 says. If you have any beauty-conscious female (or male) colleagues or friends, perhaps you could ask their advice about local options?

And if none of that works, you could also just shave.

Edited by Lu

Would agree with avoiding the laser hair removal - just buy an electric razor on Taobao and shave it thinner/shorter if their stares really bother you. On the other hand, you could just take this as an opportunity to teach them how diverse body types are and do nothing at all! They'll get over it eventually.