Chinese-Forums

Learning from watching Ben Hedges

Elvis Archer

• New Members
 I am having trouble with this sentence, mainly the grammar. It seems to me that 一 is being used in a special way with either 先 or 祝 or both. From what I can decipher, the sentence is saying something like, "Before the program starts, I wish all of you a happy new year." I know my translation is off, so along with answering my first question I would also appreciate a break down of the complete sentence. Thank you all for your time and patience.

Perhaps it's forming the 一。。。就。。。 sentence pattern with an invisible 就. It expresses that as soon as the phrase after 一 occurs, the phrase after 就 immediately follows.

The 先 is then happening as imron describes. The whole phrase would then read  節目一開始(就)先祝大家新年。。。 But I would then expect something more to follow up the 先. A common structure is 先。。。,再。。。,然后,。。。最后。。。。 Using two or more of those to express a series of events.

• Like 1

Mmm... 一開始 just means at the very beginning, in the first place, like 我一開始不相信,後來慢慢發現是真的

[節目一開始] is operating as a temporal phrase and I don't feel an invisible 就

先 modifies verb phrase [祝大家新年快樂]

edit #3: if there were a 就 it would be ambiguous whether it is 一...就... or just 一開始+就

• Like 1