Chinese-Forums

Meaning of 十方三世

Ha inKi

• New Members

Hi guys, I'm learning chinese by song. Then, i see some words and I don't understand what these means. Hope you guys explain what these means

1. 十方三世

2. 霄战

3. 灵根

4. 元神

5. 三途苦

6. 腾云驾龙

Thank you so much!

1. 十方三世 (Buddism) Ten directions (8 compass directions + up and down), 3 times (past, present, future): All of space and time

3. 灵根 (Fiction) Innate attribute that enables one to achieve higher enlightenment / more easily achieve enlightenment

4. 元神 (Taoism) Concept similar to the "soul"

5. 三途苦 (Buddism) The 3 sufferings: Dukkha-dukkha, Viparinama-dukkha, Sankhara-dukkha (see link)

6. 腾云驾龙 to speed over clouds riding on a dragon, from 腾云驾雾 (see link)

Need more context for 霄战.

• Like 1

凌霄 凌 means rise over, 霄 is clouds or the sky: soar to the skies.

They are all somewhat obscured/specialized words. 凌霄 is more common, but even 现代汉语词典 has only 凌空 and 凌云 but not 凌霄.  And it has 腾云驾雾 but not 腾云驾龙 (which I admit I have not heard of before, though its meaning can be inferred from the former).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

三生劫 as a whole doesn't seem to be a specific religious concept.

In storytelling 三生 is usually 前世、今生、来世, covering 3 reincarnations of the same person.  Some stories are based on 前世因缘 of people, for example, two people for no reason dislike one another, and it turns out that in a previous incarnation one has done wrong to the other and it has to be corrected in this life.  Or, some couple who cannot be together this life wishes for their next reincarnations being able to, etc.

劫 is a Buddhist concept, a measure of time, but nowadays meaning disaster / calamity (perhaps because at the end of each period there's destruction and everything begins anew), usually predestined (due to 前世因缘 or simply fate), and takes 修行 (or other methods fortune tellers will teach you for $$$ :wink:) to avoid.

So 三生劫 can mean a predestined disaster for a person/people that lasts three lifetimes, or one that takes three lifetimes of 修行 to 化解.